RPTV or FPTV for this size room ???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Alex-C, Jun 18, 2001.

1. Alex-C

Alex-C Screenwriter

We are considering a new home purchase and have already earmarked one of the rooms for the theater...The room is roughly about 17' square. I would like to upgrade to a front projection system but I wonder if this room is truly big enough for it to work.
    By that I mean, is it too small ?
    My current HT room is considerably larger and there are times when I feel my 50" RPTV too small, thus the desire to go big. [​IMG]
    Any thoughts ? Anyone with a similar size room running a projector.
    FWIW, I was kind of thinking about an infocus LP350...but not real sure. I have read some posts that say wait until later this year to see what comes out....which I plan to.
    I guess I would like a large screen, maybe 6-10'....not sure. throw distance shouldnt be a problem. but I feel sitting this close might be a problem....
    ------------------

2. KeithR

KeithR Second Unit

Well, i don't agree with waiting...here is why. If you keep on waiting, you keep on watching movies on a small screen. Get something like an LP350 or LT150, and you can always upgrade later. Since these are business projectors, there is a bigger market than for the HT specialty projectors and you can sell them quickly. Also, there is always something bigger and better...think receivers and DPL II compatibility last year. I bet if you wait till the end of year, those models will be 2002 models...once those come out, the sRGB wheels and spiral archimedes DLPs technology will be coming on...so hence, you will keep on waiting. Same goes for RPTVs and anything in our addictive hobby...
    17' square is a big room---you definitely can (and should) go FP (if you have control over ambient light). The rule seems to be twice the width of the screen to the viewing distance. Howe ver, many prefer much shorter ratios...1.5 is probably the min. Consequently you are looking at 80-90" wide screen for a 96-106" diagonal! I would not go bigger, as DLPs seem to look better on 6-8ft. screens...there are a lot of posts on avsforum.com of people downsizing screens for more detail and better brightness.
    For cost perspective, an LP350 + Da Lite screen will cost under 4k. Infocus also has 200 dollar rebates currently.
    Of course, if you are tweaker, have an HTPC or scalar, than the LT150 seems to be the machine to get. Better contrast and colors than the 350 for the same price. Of course, the internal scalar sucks, while the 350 is outstanding.
    Also, the new Infocus 530 will have Faroudja processing...all for under 5k street. There will not be a single RPTV/DVD combo that can deinterlace that good.

3. Luis Gabriel Gerena

Luis Gabriel Gerena Second Unit

With your room size you'll have no problem with a FPTV. I have a smaller room (15'x10'6") and I am projecting a 8' wide image with a sitting distance of 11'. In one word AWESOME! Keep in mind that digital projectors has different weaknesses that you need to know before buying specially if you desire to sit close to a big image. Also, light control in the room is a must. I am able to sit close with my cheap projector cause it is the Sony W400Q which uses a staggered pixel system that prevents the usual LCD screendoor effect. Of course, you can always get a projector with more resolution too. In any case the AVS forum is the place for projectors but if you need more info just post again. After you go the FPTV there is not turning back!
    Regards

4. Alex-C

Alex-C Screenwriter

hmmmmm....ok, sounds like the distance and size of the room will not be a problem. I am not a tweaker but I am a computer geek, did i say geek, i meant guru, yes that's much better sounding.
    Anyway, I could easily hook up a HTPC and I have read that is the best input (DVI) for the LP350 but what I dont like is the ease and convenience of a regular player. I'll have to think about that one.
    I like the idea of a 100"+- screen. I would like the screen to match the impact of my sound which will consist of a denon 3801 + Klipsch reference series all around, and I am probably going to go with a 6.1 setup to fully utilize the denon. (I currently have the speaks, just not the rec'vr yet).
    I wonder if there is a company that will let you demo these projector units....and send back if not satisfied [​IMG]
    ------------------

5. KeithR

KeithR Second Unit

Alex-C,
    A properly setup Pronto will take all the pains of use out of there. Literally, inset DVD, and hit play on the Pronto. AVS has all the .ccf's linked, so run a search there.
    I am a computer "guru" as well [​IMG]
    Yes, there are places with good return policy--bad news is they have higher prices. I recommend ProjectorPeople, as they carry everything but the pricy Seleco, Dwin, Runcos etc. (ie. home theater projectors), and you can always return a projector if you are exchanging it with something else from them. If you flat out return, they still have a 12.5% restocking fee (lower than most)---but, they have great customer service, and prices are the best. Medical Video Systems is outstanding as well, with a 14 day no questions asked return policy...however, they are pricier.
    If you already have an HTPC with DVI, I would try both the LP350 (or 530--new) and LT 150. I saw the NEC last night, and it was really good...with no scalar even. An HTPC will have this machine performing at 2x it's cost. Even without DVI, I feel that this machine will outperform the LP350...it has much better contrast for one. There are many links over at AVS on this comparison...

6. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
  7. Alex-C

Alex-C Screenwriter

Is there a preferred video card to use when hooking up an HTPC to a projector like the Infocus LP350 ?
    ------------------

8. KeithR

KeithR Second Unit

The preferred video card now seems to be the ATI Radeon. If you look on the HTPC forum at avsforum.com there are many links for it.