RPTV: Keep in Dedicated HT?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Clifford Manuel, Jul 9, 2003.

1. Clifford Manuel

I am looking to finish our basement with a dedicated HT (roughly 12' X 20'). I currently have a 50" Hitachi RPTV and I'm trying to decide whether or not to keep it in the HT or put it upstairs in the family room. I will have a front projector (probably a Sanyo Z1) in the new HT.

If I keep the RPTV in the HT, I will get a pulldown screen that will hang in front of the RPTV.

If I decide to put the TV upstairs, I will get a fixed screen that I can permanently mount on the wall.

What do you think about these options? Any advantages/disadvantages of one over the other? Thanks in advance for your feedback.

2. Glenise

Glenise Supporting Actor

Put the projector in the dedicated HT.
    Also I would put the permanent mount screen in the dedicated HT.

3. David Preston

David Preston Supporting Actor

I would put the RPTV upstairs. Just use basement for movies with the fixed screen.

4. Mathew Shelby

Mathew Shelby Second Unit

I agree with the projector downstairs. It will take up less space and produce a much larger image.

5. JawhnM

JawhnM Stunt Coordinator

I spend most of my time when I'm at home in my theater. Movies and some sporting events are for the projector, but most other TV is watched on the RPTV, which is enhanced by the audio system and surroundings. Most VHS (which I seldom watch) actually looks better on the RPTV do to the inferior video quality). This gives me maximum use and enjoyment from my theater. There are advantages of going either way but I (and my wife) love to be in the theater.[​IMG]

Jawhn

6. sean_pecor

sean_pecor Stunt Coordinator

If you want both the RPTV and the front projector to share your home theater audio system then I would suggest keeping both in the dedicated theater. If you don't care, and don't mind having a house invaded by televisions (grin) then put the RPTV in the family room. My own opinion (likely a minority) is that a TV in a Family Room becomes more of a "Family Avoidance Room" and should be avoided itself. Family rooms are for fun and games, actual human interaction, reading, playing and so on. Call me old fashioned.

One benefit in my mind of having both a smaller set and a large projection screen in a singular viewing environment, is that you can watch regular television programming on smaller set from a reasonable distance (not too close), yet watch HDTV/DVD movies on the big projection screen for that "immersive" experience, all from the same seating position.

Sean.

7. Bob Maged

Bob Maged Stunt Coordinator

I agree 100%. In my basement HT I use the old 43" RPTV for "regular" TV viewing and pull down the screen in front of it to use my Panasonic PT-L200U for DVDs and HDTV viewing. Lately I have been using the PJ for some standard def digital cable viewing and the PQ is acceptable. But we do have a rule that we don't watch Sex and the City on the big screen -- Sarah Jessica Parker's mug on the 43-incher is already painful to watch.

8. victor-eyd

victor-eyd Extra

I would agree with Bob but I also think Sean has a valid point. The whole reason for a dedicated HT is, well, HT. Although it's likely you might sneak some regular TV viewing at times, TV is basically a watch-and-do-something-also experience, with the lights on, people running around grabbing food, talking on the phone, etc. Also, TV viewing (at least to me) is primarily a lights-on affair. HT is all about a dark room with solid uniterrupted video playing which we're all accustomed to when we go to the movies. So if you're HT is more likely to be dual-role, leave it in. But if you're going for the HT-experience, perhaps relegate the RPTV to the family room.

9. Darren Mortensen

Darren Mortensen Stunt Coordinator

As for me I utilize BOTH a 4:3 RPTV for regular digital cable broadcasts such as HBO, SHOWTIME,Etc... and use the 16:9 front projector soley for DVD viewing. I can use the quiet and private HT for watching HGTV...or Monster Garage...or the local news without ever having to be disturbed by phone calls, or the wife. Just as I can use the theater's ambiance to relax and just listen to music with the lights dimmed, agian no distraction to my mediation and relaxation. I say go for the best of both worlds. And use your HT as an escape!

10. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    I have a 50' Ultravision upstairs and a dedicated 8' FP down. I would not want the RPTV in the theater. When down there I am totally isolated from the kids and whats going on, when I'm upstairs watching the 50" I can watch the kids inside and out at the same time. If it was down stairs it would very seldom get watched.
    Theaters are for movies IMHO!

Wes