What's new

RPTV ideal screen size etc... (1 Viewer)

John Roger

Stunt Coordinator
Planning to buy new Widescreen HDTV RPTV.

I am deciding between 46" and 55" for my 14' viewing distance.I need a good picture.Though orginal DVDs look excellent on RPTVs, normal TV and cable looks bad, even low bit rate DVDs.Is it due to the size that they don't look as good as on normal TV?

I have heard that smaller RP sets got better clarity because they all have the same projector inside just a bigger box and screen.Is is true?

matt-f

Second Unit
14 feet with a 55" TV is suitable. I'm about 12 feet from my 57".

The question about images not looking good would more likely apply if your viewing distance is too close to the TV.

For purchasing a new TV, I recommend you obtain the Hitachi 57X500 set. It's their top of the line set. No 55" but you'll be happy with this set guarenteed.

John S

Senior HTF Member
55" min. I would say... Different HDTV's handle regular old NTSC with varied degrees of picture quality. I'd rate it pretty good on my particular 60".....

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Based on this: Distance Calculator I got a 51 inch Sony which states that optimum distance approx 17 feet. My distance is 15.5 feet. I think they all have this but what ever RPTV you get, make sure it has DNR and a line doubler. The 57 inch Sony and Hitachi has line doublers that can do upto 1080p. My Sony 51 inch has line doubling upto 480p and you can really see the difference between those channel that broadcast well.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Oh yea, no line doubling, really makes ol NTSC stink when going much over say 40" or so.

John Roger

Stunt Coordinator
I saw some RPTVs with options of progressive scan in NTSC mode and a philips with 100Hz scan option.It seems to take away the lines and flicker.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
I'm not familiar with the 100hz scan option, but a line doubler pretty much would convert everything from broadcast to VHS 480p or 480i. I did a review on the Sony RPTV I just got with an upscaling DVD player and to be frank, VHS petty much don't show to well on a large RPTV screen unless it's a S-VHS with DNR/TBC. Anyway for broadcast, a line doubler will improve the picture.

matt-f

Second Unit
John S:

There is also the Hitachi 65X500 as well if you're looking for a larger size. Other than that, you can choose between the two.

matt

John Roger

Stunt Coordinator
I checked the line doubling on a Philips and its got flicker but the 100hz option is flicker free.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Flicker huh??? I'm not sure what is meant by this in particular, the only thing I ever notice, is an occasional jaggie on long lines that don't run vertical or horizontal.

Maybe the slightest shimmer on like a set of blinds the background of a scene?

On most Philips when sent 480p or higher, there is no touching of the video, it is passed right through...

But from Composite, and SVHS sources, the internal line double is there, and always present.

RichG

Agent
I am sitting 8 feet away from my 57x500 and it looks great. If I had 14 feet to work with, if price were no object, I would consider the Mitsubishi 73 incher, or at least the Hitachi 65x500. Bigger is better!!!

John Roger

Stunt Coordinator

Flicker means a picture that is not very stable.I notice flicker and interlacing on normal TVs ever since i started watching lot of progressive stuff.

8 feet is too close for SD i think.

I have a smaller room that only gives 7' viewing distance.But i will have to go smaller if i have to keep the TV there.Is it better to sit close to a smaller TV or sit far from a bigger TV?

John S

Senior HTF Member
I have only experienced filcker with sub par DVD players.
I think I know what you mean.
I have never really encountered it on internal to the display line doublers.

My Philips display has a mode that is in effect 960i, still progressive scan presented interlaced, if that makes any sense at all. I do tend to use that over the default Progressive mode.

John Roger

Stunt Coordinator
John S, which model of philips you got?

How do i know if a TV upconverts signals to higher resolution?I notice lot of difference in the picture of different models but nothing specifically written about the conversion except terms like pixel plus, DRC etc.

I would like to know if Philips 55PP9527 converts signals to HD?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks