What's new

RPTV Height Question... (1 Viewer)

Kris White

Auditioning
I am in the proccess of purchasing a RPTV and have a question concerning raising the tv. The unit is a 57 inch Toshiba RPTV. It will be placed in the family room where there are two couches facing the TV diagonally (approx. 11 ft away from tv) and a pool table beyond the first couch. The dillemma is you wont be able to see the tv while playing pool because of the couch blocking the view. If I were to build a stand that were to raise the TV up six inches or so would that effect the viewing quality from 'couch view'? I am somewhat new to RPTV's and do not know a whole lot about them. I was told that the TVs are meant to be viewed from the height at which they stand from the floor. Will raising it 6 inches or so negatively effect my viewing? Any information regarding this will be much appreciated.

CRyan

Screenwriter
Well, the optimal viewing of an RPTV is straight ahead and at eye level. The set will get increasingly "darker" as you move in any direction from center.

Your couch may sit high making an elevated TV optimum. This was the case with my past RPTV and sofa. Either way, why don't you just go to a retail outlet, sit on the floor, and see what you see. I did this on several occasions when purchasing my current HD set.

Go have a look.

C. Ryan

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
If children sitting on the couch have the 25% from the bottom mark at eye level instead of the exact screen center at eye level, that is not too bad a compromise so the people playing pool can at least see the screen. But if the only way to put the screen in full view of those playing pool is to rais it so high that people on the sofa see across to the bottom edge of the screen, I would think twice before raising the set. Also if children sit on the floor to view more often than people play pool and view, I would think three times before raising the set.
Unless the grownups after playing pool are willing to come over and sit on the floor and let the kids stay on the sofa.
Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks