RPTV for around 1600.00 or go Direct View?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ron_C, Apr 29, 2002.

1. Ron_C

Ron_C Agent

Hi,

My g/f and I have been looking at the Toshiba 36" flat screen cinema series set for some time now, and we are thinking of buying it for around 1600.00. It isn't widescreen or HDTV. I was wondering are there any RPTV in the 45"(4:3) area that are HDTV compatable for around this price. Would the picture quality be as good as the Toshiba 36" flat screen, since that is what we are most concerned with. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Ron,

The Sony KP43HT20 has just dropped to $1699 at BB and CC. This is a 43" HD-ready 4/3 rptv. It does a true anamorphic squeeze for dvd, and also does a true raster squeeze for 1080i HDTV. It converts regular 480i to your choice of 960i, 480p, or 480p with 3/2 pulldown for film based stuff.

With a poor ntsc signal, you'd be better off with the analog Toshiba 36" you've been looking at, but if your ntsc source is good, it will look better. Sonys are generally quite good out of the box, and with AVIA calibration very good. They're also quite tweakable--red push can be corrected and SVM can be reduced or turned off in the service menu--no need to clip any wires.

3. Ron_C

Ron_C Agent

What is SVM?

4. Doug_Bbn

Doug_Bbn Auditioning

Scan Velocity Modulation - a trick TV manufacturers use to make their sets stand out when they are displayed on a wall of TVs at electronic superstores. Unfortunately, it makes the picture worse when you see the difference between 'off' and 'on'.

5. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

Ron - about what percentage TV to DVDs do you watch on your current TV? Is the TV in a room that can be made completely dark?

I'm asking because you might be able to do a projector + a screen for under $1600, but only if your room can be made dark. And if you watch a lot of TV, a projector might not be the best solution.

6. ManojM

ManojM Stunt Coordinator

Try the Toshiba 42H81 and Panasonic 47". Both with good pictures, Toshiba may be a bit better, and can be had at about your price.

7. Don Beverly

Don Beverly Extra

In your price range their are several options, one not mentioned as yet is the Hitachi line, either direct view or 43inch RPtv, both HD ready, depending on your tastes. These sets offer decent NTSC viewing and the high def option if and when available to you.

At this late date, an analog only is ok for second and third sets but at least one HD compatible belongs in every household, this fall will offer yet even more programming on ota broadcasting as well as satellite. Once you've seen it, you will want more, its that good.