RPTV Custom Screens - What's The Deal??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff D., Jun 14, 2001.

1. Jeff D.

Jeff D. Supporting Actor

OK, so I have heard that replacing the high gain screen in an RPTV will yield fantastic benefits...but have yet to hear any first-hand reports.
    I contacted Da-Lite about their offerings. Its gonna be expensive, so this isn't something I want to just jump into.
    The only "report" I have is from Michael TLV, who calibrated a Toshiba set with one of these replacement screens. Michael, if you're listening...I was a bit confused by your report. On the one hand, you complained of "milky blacks", due to the colour of the screen itself, as well as horrendous "internal reflections". On the other though, you compare the image quality to that of a high-end FPTV - yet your complaints would seem to dispute this. Could you clarify?
    Incidentally, I have absolute 100% control over ambient lighting, so that is not an issue.
    Would replacing my set's (Tosh 56H80) screen with a screen from Da-Lite improve things - to the point of justifying the high price of admission??
    Also, owing to the fact the replacement screen will be of much lower gain - how will this affect how hard I have to drive my set? I don't know the exact numbers, but lets just assume the screen currently in my set is a 2.5 gain screen - the replacement screen I'm looking at is more like 1. So am I gonna have to drive my set a lot harder - ie. push the Contrast or Brightness way up to get the same light output?? Or am I not understanding the concept of screen gain at all? I don't know if its worth it if I have to push my Contrast up to 70.
    ____
    Jeff
    ------------------
    "You're a walking stick! It's funny! Now GO!"

2. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings
    Let's just say that when the internal reflections are not there ... the image looks like FPTV. (Which FPTV's don't have to deal with since they don't have internal reflections). Like the bouncing PAnny ball or the Toshiba screen saver.
    The Milky blacks are a function of FPTV's and how they interact with the screen.
    In terms of brightness, don't worry about boosting the crt output ... you don't have to. The lack of lenticular ridges will mean a substantial light output increase when the crt's are being driven the same amount.
    It looks neat ... is all ... but forget about back lighting if you go this route.
    $800 to $1000 ...
    Regards
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Michael @ The Laser Video Experience

3. Jim_F

Jim_F Screenwriter

This is spooky, I was just was just researching this exact topic (didn't find much)
    I don't like the idea of losing the protection of the protective screen, but it would be nice to find something to provide less light sensitive viewing.
    This sounds tempting, but at the rate I upgrade, and the relative price makes my 53HS10 an unlikely candidate.

4. Jeff D.

Jeff D. Supporting Actor

So Michael, in your opinion, is this "upgrade" worth it. The cost is high, and it seems to me that you are simply trading one evil for another.
    While I don't find the internal reflections from my set particularly bothersome, I certainly don't want to increase them.
    ____
    Jeff
    ------------------
    "You're a walking stick! It's funny! Now GO!"

5. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings
    I am not convinced that lens hoods and Duvetyne can solve this problem. (I have not seen the two in combination with the Diffusion Screen.) If the internal reflections cannot be properly migitaged, then I would not want this "upgrade."
    The problem is to find someone that had this problem and licked it with the two items discussed above.
    Dean Roddey had gone to a diffusion screen with his 65" Toshiba shortly before he went to a FPTV. He might be able to provide a satisfactory answer here.
    Regards
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Michael @ The Laser Video Experience