RPTV color accuracy-Panny,Sony,or Hitachi?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MTrotter, Aug 18, 2001.

1. MTrotter

MTrotter Stunt Coordinator

Marc
    Looked at these 16:9 sets today at CC. The 53" Hitachi and 47" Panny had the best detail and depth. But the Sony which had a notably less focused picture also had the best color accuracy. Amazingly, the test for this was Barney the dinosaur. They had a HD loop playing and, on the Sony, Barney was actually purple like he's supposed to be, while maintaining proper skin tones on the kids. On the Hitachi and Panny, he was more of a pink color. The salesperson adjusted the Hitachi to get Barney purple, but then people's faces were tinted too pink. Can this be overcome, because in all other respects, the Hitachi image was superb.The story was much the same with the 47" Panny.
    ------------------

2. Andrew W

Andrew W Supporting Actor

The Sony's are intentionally set off focus (especially the blue gun.) They can be tweaked into sharpness by turning off SVM, and focusing the blue gun more tightly.
    ------------------
    Andrew in Austin
    ------------------
    Sony DVP-S530D DVD Player
    Sony STR-DA333ES A/V Receiver
    Sony KP-57XBR10W Rear Projection TV (16:9)
    Infintiy SM 120 (L & R)
    Infinity SM Video (center)
    Infinity SM 165 (surround)
    Infinity BU-120 (subwoofer)

3. Matt_Stevens

Matt_Stevens Supporting Actor

It is impossible to see what a TV can really do in a sales environment. The TV's are all out of whack, out of adjustment, with settings that are horrible out the box. I've seen $6,000 Pioneer Elite's look like complete crap at the local Tweeter.
    ------------------
    www.deceptions.net/superman

4. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

I'd agree that it's impossible to judge rptvs in a salesfloor environment. A customer who's done a bit of calibration at home with AVIA or VE and has a basic knowledge of how to adjust user controls could probably do a better
    job of adjusting these sets than the average salesperson.
    I sorta like Best Buy for the simple reason that they let you play with the remote to your heart's content so you can get a much better idea of how the set will look properly adjusted. CC salespeople vary on this. Some will let you play around and others act like they're gonna call the cops if you try to take a display set out of full torch mode.
    Hitachis, in my experience, have sorta weird baselines for picture adjustment parameters. Where most sets look best at 45-50% color settings, an Hitachi will usually look best down around 23%. Oddly enough you sometimes get more realistic fleshtones with auto color on rather than off. Most sets will make all faces a sorta uniform beige with auto color on, but my analog Hitachi will still differentiate between Rose's peaches and cream complexion and Hockley's suntan when playing Titanic.
    On some cable or satellite channels, everyone will look uniformly pink as you described with auto color off, but turning it on will give people of different complexions (i.e. Asian vs Caucasian) the correct skintones.
    ------------------
    Steve S.
    I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.