RPTV burn-in?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brad O, Mar 23, 2002.

1. Brad O

Brad O Auditioning

I am considering purchasing a rear projection tv, but I've heard bits and pieces about screen burn-ins caused by some tv station logos or watching letterbox movies frequently.

My question is... how long does it take for these burn-ins to occur? My main concern is that I watch the History channel very frequently on weekends, and it has the constant "H" in the lower right corner. Is there a way to avoid having that logo burn-in to the screen?

Thanks for your help.

-Brad

2. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

The length of time for burn-in to become noticeable depends on several factors, such as intensity, duration, color, etc. Most TVs I've seen with burn-in problems were either very new (and the owner was careless) or 4-5 years old and beginning to show wear. In the latter case, the burn-in was only noticable under scrutiny, and not under normal viewing conditions.

To tell you the truth, I haven't given burn-in a lot of thought lately. I'd rather enjoy my TV watching what I want to. I just keep the contrast low and hope nothing happens.

3. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

If the logo is of a bright color (or white) the burn in will occur much more quickly.
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm
    Bostonians, boycott WBZ 4 news, has a bright white logo in the lower right.