RPTV////Anyone have a checklist of maintenance items/timeframes for them. ???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Rogers, Jul 24, 2002.

1. Jeff Rogers

Jeff Rogers Second Unit

I am really new still and have no idea what to look for and what to tune up at what times. Kind of like a car...consider me 16 years old then.

I purchased AVIA and plan on using the hell out of it this weekend.

I turned down the Contrast, brightness...ect... to safe levels.

What comes next? ISF calibration?

Also..any reccomendations on cleaning that screen?

2. BruceSpielbauer

BruceSpielbauer Second Unit

Is this a new set?

You were not clear on that, so what follows is assuming that it is.

First, you have done the most important thing -- setting the contrast down to 30 to 40% is the most important. Then, setting the brightness down to (ideally) below 50% is also very desirable. You may adjust it a bit to compensate for room lighting, of course.

Also, make 100% postivie that nothing else is overriding your new contrast settings (most IRIS contraols do this, so shut anything like that off). And,on monst models, you need to set that contrast again for each and every input, or for each and every type of signal you have connected (DVD? HDTV? Satellite? Cable? VCR? Antenna?)

Next, you are headed on the right track. You are safe to use Avia (or a similar DVD calibration disk) right away, and I would encourage it. Use it, and expect to re-use it often during the first 100 to 150 hours since those settings drift a lot, at first.

Next, try to avoid ANY static images at first. This is apparently the most critical period where you are at the great risk of long term damage related to burn-in, sort of like the first 500 miles on a new auto.

Then, after that, it depends. If you like to tweak, I can probably direct you to some sources for great tweaking tips. I have turned off my SVM (t get rid of unwanted edge enhancement), focused my set, fixed the 25% red push which my set had, and done minor convergence and geometry tweaks, to date.

You should really wait for an ISF calibration for at least 100 hours, and at least three months, or any money will likely be wasted, due to the shifting settings.

Because of the above, most also recommend waiting for geometry and convergence tweaks for the same reason... unless you would enjoy re-doing this all over again.

If I were you, I would look into such things as getting rid of SVM and getting rid of color decoding problems, which are quite common. These things do not tend to drift... once it is "off," SVM is "off." Once you have re-set the actual color decoders, I do not believe THEY change (like your regular tint and color saturation settings can drift).

You can expect your picture to get somewhat better, during the first few weeks. Enjoy this.

What brand / model do you have? Some models are very "tweakable" by the home user (the Mits are famous for this). Others allow some tweaking. Some are very much "locked out," unless you become a technician, almost.

About the "cleaning the screen" question, you need to let people know the brand and model. Screens vary a lot. Some have protective coatings, some are anti-glare, some sets have a protective shield, others do not, some even make this protective anti-glare screen an option, whether you want it "on" or "off." The cleaning instructions vary. Does your manual ahave any info? There are places on the Internet where specific instructions can be found for different brands, makes, models, and types of screens.

Hope something here helps,

-Bruce in Chi-Town