RPTV and DVI...should I???

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by AnandS, Feb 24, 2004.

1. AnandS

AnandS Agent

Hi,

Like thousands others that have come here, I am a newbie at the HT as well.

Here is what I have:

Panny Widescreen HDTV - Model# PT53TW53
    Panasonic 5-DVD player - Model# DVD-F65K - just bought
    Onkyo 6.1 HTIB - Model # HTS760

I have this connected via Component cables and have the Optical Audio connection to the receiver.

The sound is amazing. I know HTIB is frowned upon here, but my budget allowed only this.

Anyways, I have been reading here about DVD players that upconvert..for example the Samsung HD931 or the Bravo D1.

I would like to get the best possible picture out of this TV while watching DVDs.

Would you recommend upgrading to the Samsung HD931? I think my TV has DVI input(I think). I have read here conflicting reports about RPTV and DVIs. That is why the question.

Also, does anyone know if this Panny does 720p or 1080i? Which is better and any way I can control what resolution is being used?

Thanx for your help. Appreciated.

2. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Check to make sure your DVI input is HDCP compatible. I believe all the DVI based DVD players require this.

Actually, I just found your set's spec sheet and it looks like you're good to go with the HDCP.

I've heard mixed reviews on the upconverting DVD players. Some say it's not worth it while others say it's a substantial improvement. So, my advice would be to get one that has a good return policy in case you don't like it. [​IMG]

3. Andy Goldstein

Andy Goldstein Stunt Coordinator

the panny will NOT do 720. period. black screen. 1080 works fine. as for controling the resolution, that is controlled by whatever your source is sending.

however, the built-in line-doubler seems to work quite well. i am sending it interlaced video (component) and the picture is wonderful! i guess you could try a progressive player, or an up-converting player, and return it if the panny does it better.

ag.

4. AnandS

AnandS Agent

Thanx for the help.

I bought the Samsung 931 DVD player and hooked it via DVI and as Andy said the 720 doesn't work. Why is that???

Also at 1080, the picture looks really bad compared to my progressive DVD player.

Time to return the Samsung. [​IMG]

Oh well, I gave it a try.....but I still would like to know why the 720 doesn't work on Pannys.

5. Andy Goldstein

Andy Goldstein Stunt Coordinator

'cause its easier, cheaper, and less involved to work with 1080i, vs 720p. so they just dont support it.

i use 480i from my dvd player, and 1080i from my HD cable box (480i on SD cable channels). works for me!

ag.