1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Rpg

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Mike Brogan, Jul 17, 2003.

1. Mike Brogan

Mike Brogan Second Unit

Back in the day I rented "Sword of Vermilion" for the SNES...or was it Genesis? Anyway, after getting nowhere with that game I pretty much decided that the whole genre was not my cup of RP Tea.
    Since then I've played "Shenmue" and loved it, am currently playing "Shenmue II" and enjoying it, but I think most would agree these are not your typical RPG's.
    So after reading the reviews and hearing the general buzz over "Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic" I became really interested in purchasing this one. Blame my Star Wars love for that. So before I shelled out $50 for it I decided to try my hand at another well received RPG for the XBOX; "Morrowind", which I got for dirt cheap. I figured if I enjoyed it "KOTOR" would be a sure buy.
    I've played "Morrowind" twice so far for about an hour each time and have died both times after taking a couple of hits from a cave rat. I don't know what I'm doing wrong and the tutorials don't really seem to be helping me, so I find myself having to start over and repeat some really boring process. I can admire the game design and the sheer scope of the game, but I'm getting the familiar feeling of this genre not being for me. In short, the experience has scared me away from "KOTOR".
    So I have the following questions; does "KOTOR" vary much in game play from something like "Morrowind"? Would someone who is, admittedly, and idiot when it comes to RPG's have fun with this game? And what the hell am I doing wrong on "Morrowind"? Your help is appreciated.

PS. You should also know; I never rent games, movies, or automobiles. I don't even own a membership.

2. Rob_Pierce

Rob_Pierce Second Unit

Mike,

I read this post before I responded on the KOTOR thread--you can read my response there.

Interestingly, I got Sword of Vermillion (it is Genesis, by the way) for Christmas one year and distinctly remember being disappointed and trading it with a friend for his copy of Streets of Rage--sounds like you and I have very similar gaming tastes. If that is the case, trust me and get KOTOR this afternoon; you won't regret it.

In fact, after playing KOTOR for only 3 hours, I feel like when I'm done that Morrowind might just make a little more sense if I start it for the 19th time.[​IMG]

3. Romier S

Romier S Producer

4. Mike Brogan

Mike Brogan Second Unit

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll definitely be picking up "KOTOR".

As for "Morrowwind"; I took the advice from above (that sounds downright religious) and had a better experience with it last night. Still haven't completed the "kill the cave rats" mission, but I'm a little bit closer. It's now apparent to me how important it is to build up your guy before even thinking of taking on any battles. The whole thing is starting to make more sense to me and I do plan on sticking with it. But you're right Romier, it is very slow going for now. I still can't get over how huge this game is...and the loading times are impressive as well. I just hope some of these bugs I've read about don't show up.

And In a sad display of frustration, after getting slaughtered by the rats for the umpteenth time last night, I took my frustration out on the old elven crone who hired me to do the job. I then took her clothes (even though my character is male) burgled her kitchen and headed to the nearest tavern in my new dress to continue my crime-wave. After hitting some Thundercat looking guy on the head the rest of the customers in the bar teamed up on me and promptly killed me. Joe Lieberman was probably rolling in his grave. Luckily I did a save before all of this, so when I started over I "admired" the old elf lady in an attempt to redeem my ways.

5. Romier S

Romier S Producer

6. Mario_Y

Mario_Y Stunt Coordinator

LOL! I just did that yesterday (killed the person I was supposed to be getting something from), and ran!! On the advice of a friend who's been playing it!!

It's like Medieval GTA!![​IMG]

7. Mike Brogan

Mike Brogan Second Unit

There must have been something in the Ohio air yesterday, other than humidity.

I figured if she was going to pay me for services rendered then she must have the money on her...nope. I also didn't have any luck selling the items I snatched from her kitchen. But I had a good laugh seeing my male dark elf warrior decked out in a skirt.

Is there a way to sell random stolen items? Or do you have to be a member of the thieves guild. Also, can you be a member of more than one guild at a time?

8. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Mike,

Do yourself a hige favor and buy the strategy guide they sell with KOTOR. It'll give you a ton of hints about how to create a character, combat strategems, general info on easiest characters to play. I always pick them up now, even though I know the core D&D rules like the back of my hand after finishing 3-4 Bioware games.

KOTOR is a real peach, I love it.

9. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

I loved Sword of Vermillion [​IMG]

10. Mike Brogan

Mike Brogan Second Unit

The 2 things that drew me to "Sword of Vermilion" were A) at the time, the city I lived in was named Vermilion and B) it was one of the most expensive games out ($75 if I remember correctly) at the time. To my idiot-juvenile mind this equaled guaranteed quality. Not saying it wasn't a quality title, just that I had no experience with RPG's and I was freaked out by all of the reading. I think I was expecting "Golden Axe".

11. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer