What's new

RPG Profoam Level two? (1 Viewer)

Vince Chan

Stunt Coordinator
Hi All,

I've been looking at getting some Profoam to tame the excessive brightness in my room due to wood panelling on the walls. I've been conidering buying from AudioAdvisor but they sell a "level two" version of the profoam which is confusing me since RPG inc. doesn't mention a level two profoam. Does anyone know the difference (if any) between normal profoam and profoam level two?

Brian OK

Supporting Actor
Vince,
Take a look at Auralex products before you drop a sum on RPG through Advisor.
www.marsmusic.com
Do a search under Auralex. The $99. StudioPack is a real bargain.
Also www.markertek.com has their inexpensive "markerfoam", as well as Sonex products.
Not to say that foam is foam, but the fire rating, design (pyramid, blade, wedge, multi-design), and thickness are the defining qualities. Some of this stuff is outrageously expensive. If mattress foam actually had any worthy acoustical properties, I would be tempted to try that ;^0.
I use the Auralex wedgies (24) from the StudioPack in my basement HT with success. But I also did a DIY (a la Jon Risch recipes) bass trap and wall panel setup. Again, with success. I would recommend bass traps as the starting point for treatment, but that is just my view of things.
Too thin treatment (thickness) can oftentimes skew the HF/LF balance and cause more of a problem than what you are trying to tame.
Good Luck,
BOK

Vince Chan

Stunt Coordinator
Thx for the info Brian,

I'm mostly interested in just reducing the brightness of the room.. I have no desire to reduce the low frequencies, or even the midrange (in fact the midrange is a bit thin, so hopefully reducing the high frequencies will bring out the midrange)..

What would you recommend for this job?

-Vince

Brian OK

Supporting Actor
Vince,

I would start with a 4'x4' array of the foam of your choice at the main speakers first reflection point. 2" thickness would be a good place to start. And just see if it tames the highs some. From there, experiement, using the less is more approach.

Good Luck,

BOK

Larry Chanin

Stunt Coordinator
Vince:
I may be wrong, but I believe the ProFoam Level 2 is merely one layer (i.e., 2" thick) of the foam. As you may be aware ProFoam is the only acoustic foam that is nestable, meaning you can add successive layers to achieve your desired results. Two layers are 3" thick and three layers are 4" thick.
Here's an other source with some more information:
ProFoam
Larry

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks