What's new

RP91's Remaster feature... marketing scam? (1 Viewer)

donovan_chin

Stunt Coordinator
Has anyone head any difference with the remaster feature on or is it just a huge marketing scam?

RicP

Screenwriter
Well it's certainly not a marketing scam because my pre/pro switches from 44khz to 88.2khz/96khz when the remaster circuit is engaged.
Whether it makes a "big" difference? Not to me, but I wouldn't play my CD's on the RP91 anyway, I have a separate CD/DAC combo for that.
------------------
http://www.ricperrott.com
Ric Perrott - My DVD's

thien

Auditioning
It does smooth out the highs but only on limited material. I found that I do well on newage material but not much for the others kind of music.
Thien

Wayne_T

Stunt Coordinator
Definitely not marketing scam because...
I can hear the difference - the sound is warmer. Whether it sounds better or not is a matter of personal taste. I like it.
But the really obvious reason is...
Panasonic is making no effort whatsoever to leverage sales off this feature - they aren't hyping it; there is no scam. If there was they'd be trying to use the feature to sell the player.
------------------
The bitterness of low quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price has passed.
[Edited last by Wayne_T on August 25, 2001 at 05:24 PM]

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
It sure was marketed in the DVD-A10. I tried it on some stuff and I can't tell the difference between on and off. If it does anything it's too subtle for my ears to detect. It's not worth worrying about. "Upsampling" seems to be a buzzword or "hot" feature on some high end stuff. At this level and in this implementation I can't tell what the heck it's supposed to do.
------------------
Philip Hamm
AIM: PhilBiker

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks