1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

RP91's Remaster feature... marketing scam?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by donovan_chin, Aug 24, 2001.

1. donovan_chin

donovan_chin Stunt Coordinator

Has anyone head any difference with the remaster feature on or is it just a huge marketing scam?

2. RicP

RicP Screenwriter

Well it's certainly not a marketing scam because my pre/pro switches from 44khz to 88.2khz/96khz when the remaster circuit is engaged.
    Whether it makes a "big" difference? Not to me, but I wouldn't play my CD's on the RP91 anyway, I have a separate CD/DAC combo for that.
    ------------------
    http://www.ricperrott.com
    Ric Perrott - My DVD's

3. donovan_chin

donovan_chin Stunt Coordinator

I agree but shouldn't there be at least a little bit of noticeable difference to the ears?

4. thien

thien Auditioning

It does smooth out the highs but only on limited material. I found that I do well on newage material but not much for the others kind of music.
    Thien

5. Wayne_T

Wayne_T Stunt Coordinator

Definitely not marketing scam because...
    I can hear the difference - the sound is warmer. Whether it sounds better or not is a matter of personal taste. I like it.
    But the really obvious reason is...
    Panasonic is making no effort whatsoever to leverage sales off this feature - they aren't hyping it; there is no scam. If there was they'd be trying to use the feature to sell the player.
    ------------------
    The bitterness of low quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price has passed.
    [Edited last by Wayne_T on August 25, 2001 at 05:24 PM]

6. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

It sure was marketed in the DVD-A10. I tried it on some stuff and I can't tell the difference between on and off. If it does anything it's too subtle for my ears to detect. It's not worth worrying about. "Upsampling" seems to be a buzzword or "hot" feature on some high end stuff. At this level and in this implementation I can't tell what the heck it's supposed to do.
    ------------------
    Philip Hamm
    AIM: PhilBiker