RP91's Remaster feature... marketing scam?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by donovan_chin, Aug 24, 2001.

1. donovan_chin

donovan_chin Stunt Coordinator

Has anyone head any difference with the remaster feature on or is it just a huge marketing scam?

2. RicP

RicP Screenwriter

Well it's certainly not a marketing scam because my pre/pro switches from 44khz to 88.2khz/96khz when the remaster circuit is engaged.
    Whether it makes a "big" difference? Not to me, but I wouldn't play my CD's on the RP91 anyway, I have a separate CD/DAC combo for that.
    ------------------
    http://www.ricperrott.com
    Ric Perrott - My DVD's

3. donovan_chin

donovan_chin Stunt Coordinator

I agree but shouldn't there be at least a little bit of noticeable difference to the ears?

4. thien

thien Auditioning

It does smooth out the highs but only on limited material. I found that I do well on newage material but not much for the others kind of music.
    Thien

5. Wayne_T

Wayne_T Stunt Coordinator

Definitely not marketing scam because...
    I can hear the difference - the sound is warmer. Whether it sounds better or not is a matter of personal taste. I like it.
    But the really obvious reason is...
    Panasonic is making no effort whatsoever to leverage sales off this feature - they aren't hyping it; there is no scam. If there was they'd be trying to use the feature to sell the player.
    ------------------
    The bitterness of low quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price has passed.
    [Edited last by Wayne_T on August 25, 2001 at 05:24 PM]

6. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

It sure was marketed in the DVD-A10. I tried it on some stuff and I can't tell the difference between on and off. If it does anything it's too subtle for my ears to detect. It's not worth worrying about. "Upsampling" seems to be a buzzword or "hot" feature on some high end stuff. At this level and in this implementation I can't tell what the heck it's supposed to do.
    ------------------
    Philip Hamm
    AIM: PhilBiker