What's new

RP91's Remaster feature... marketing scam? (1 Viewer)

donovan_chin

Stunt Coordinator
Has anyone head any difference with the remaster feature on or is it just a huge marketing scam?

RicP

Screenwriter
Well it's certainly not a marketing scam because my pre/pro switches from 44khz to 88.2khz/96khz when the remaster circuit is engaged.
Whether it makes a "big" difference? Not to me, but I wouldn't play my CD's on the RP91 anyway, I have a separate CD/DAC combo for that.
------------------
http://www.ricperrott.com
Ric Perrott - My DVD's

thien

Auditioning
It does smooth out the highs but only on limited material. I found that I do well on newage material but not much for the others kind of music.
Thien

Wayne_T

Stunt Coordinator
Definitely not marketing scam because...
I can hear the difference - the sound is warmer. Whether it sounds better or not is a matter of personal taste. I like it.
But the really obvious reason is...
Panasonic is making no effort whatsoever to leverage sales off this feature - they aren't hyping it; there is no scam. If there was they'd be trying to use the feature to sell the player.
------------------
The bitterness of low quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price has passed.
[Edited last by Wayne_T on August 25, 2001 at 05:24 PM]

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
It sure was marketed in the DVD-A10. I tried it on some stuff and I can't tell the difference between on and off. If it does anything it's too subtle for my ears to detect. It's not worth worrying about. "Upsampling" seems to be a buzzword or "hot" feature on some high end stuff. At this level and in this implementation I can't tell what the heck it's supposed to do.
------------------
Philip Hamm
AIM: PhilBiker

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks