RP91 vs. RP62 for den setup

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Chris_Cur, Mar 2, 2004.

1. Chris_Cur

Chris_Cur Agent

Howdy,

I'm currently using a Panasonic RP62 in on my HDTV in the den (a KV-40XBR700); I have no player in my bedroom, but I just ordered an RP91. My bedroom TV is plain analogue.

Would I be better off keeping the RP62 in my den and using the RP91 as a bedroom player, or should I swap them out? I'm inclined to say the RP62 should stay in the den, since it uses the Faroudja chip, but I wanted a second opinion.

2. Chris_Cur

Chris_Cur Agent

Anybody?

3. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

Try them both on the HD and see which you prefer. The 62's advantage is the faroudja chip but it has a lesser mpeg decoder. The 91 has great interlaced output for use into your HD set and has a superior mpeg decoder. The 91 can also do non-anamaphoric scaling when using it's progressive output. The 91 is also far more tweakable. You should try both and see which you prefer.

4. Chris_Cur

Chris_Cur Agent

What exactly does that mean? I'm not sure I understand (in fact, I'm sure I'm unsure. [​IMG] )

5. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

One of the big benefits of the RP91 is it's ability to scale non-anamaphoric dvd's. If your HDTV is a 16x9 widescreen, then you can take advantage of it. Basically, the majority of widescreen dvd's are anamaphorically enchanced, or enchanced for 16x9 TV's. When you use your sets FULL, or 16x9 mode, you gain an additional 33% resolution due to the anamphoric enchancment. The video is also displayed in the correct proportions. There are however several widescreen films that are not anamaphorically enchanced. For these, you cannot use the sets FUll or 16x9 mode, you have to use one of it's various zoom modes to properly display the image. The zoom modes on most widescreen sets bite, and you do not get the additional 33% resolution gain that you get from anamaphoric dvd's. Plus the zoom modes have fewer scan lines than Full mode. This is why you see so many people on this forum who refuse to buy any non-anamaphoric dvd's, because many HD sets just don't handle them well.

The RP91 has the ability to determine if a dvd is anamphoric or not. If it is anamaphoric, the 91 does nothing. If it is non anamaphoric, it will "scale" the image to 16x9. The 91 will read the flags on the dvd to determine whether to scale or not. For dvd's that are non-anamaphoric and are not properly flagged, of which there are many, you can force the 91 to scale. The advantage of the scaling is that you can keep your HD set in it's Full mode, where there are more scan lines that are close together. This is also important again because most HDTV's zoom modes suck. For most HD sets, using the 91's scaling is a noticeable improvment over using the HD sets zoom modes. Of course it's still not true 16x9, but it can be a big improvment depending on how good your display's zoom modes are. The 91 can only scale when using it's progressive output and cannot scale in interlaced mode. Hope this makes sense. There is a very good FAQ on the RP91 that you can find by doing a google search. It has lots of information on the 91.

6. Chris_Cur

Chris_Cur Agent

Thanks Greg.

7. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

In addition to what greg said about non-anamorphic films, the RP91 also scales 4:3 DVD's and displays them with black bars on the side. This allows you to never have to change from FULL mode on your HDTV, no matter what the OAR of the DVD. This is the single best feature of the RP91 and purchasing a RP91 and using it on a regular 4:3 TV would be a waste of this feature, IMHO.

8. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

Jeff is correct. I use the scaling feature with 1.33 aspect ratio films such as citizen Kane, Sunset Blvd., etc. My pioneer Elite's 4x3 mode puts grey bars on the side, which I find distracting. The 91 allows me to stay in full and properly dispaly the image with black side bars.

9. Chris_Cur

Chris_Cur Agent

Both my TVs are 4:3. 99% of my TV usage is regular cable television, so a 16:9 really wasn't something I wanted.