1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

RP91 users, I got some questions...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff D, Mar 14, 2002.

1. Jeff D

Jeff D Supporting Actor

(I also posted this over at avs forum)

I was out looking around and I came across a open boxed RP91 at a GoodGuys store. Now I'm alway unsure about doing anything with an open box unit. But the price was $500. There was no box, manual or cables. (Ok, now that I look online that price doesn't seem that great)

I did learn that GoodGuys won't be selling any Panasonic products.

I've also checked the firmware and I have version 174.

I went looking for a manual online. I want to be able to do the letterboxed zoom. I read the rp-91 faq that was posted here, but even things like having the progressive blue light turn off wasn't present in the firmware I have. So, can someone describe the letterbox zoom trick?

Lastly I have 30 days to return this, but I gotta admit I'm quite impressed. I may look for a cheaper new one, but I think I'm sold. This is one sweet player. Any of you owners NOT LOVE this thing? I'm a little unsure about the purchase with blue laser and firewire right around the corner. Can anyone advise me on what to do?

Turns out the remote wasn't the 91's remote. Is it possible to get the player to go to zoom mode without the remote? I can always look for a pronto version of the remote.

(This unit will be going back)

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jeff, I don't own the 'RP91, so I can't answer your questions, but I know that J&R Music World (1-800-221-8180), an authorized Panasonic dealer, sells the 'RP91 new-in-box for around $500, if not less. So, I agree that you should return the open-box unit.

3. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

This won't be easy by just describing it, but I'll give it a try.

Press DISPLAY twice and hit the down arrow(or down on the joystick if you have a joystick remote)until a blue icon of a TV appears on the left hand side. The first column to the right should have a letter showing like U,C,F,S or N. Press the Right arrow once to move into the next column and then press the down arrow until a U appears. Then press the right arrow again and it toggles you over to a number right next to the U(1,2,3,or 4).

Press the down arrow until a 4 shows. Press the right arrow twice and it will take you to 4:3 aspect. Press the down arrow until Auto appears and it will automatically format the non-anamorphic disc for you.

DJ

4. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

5. Jeff D

Jeff D Supporting Actor

DJ, thanks! That was just what I needed, didn't know there were sub menus for those settings (never thought those up and down arrows ment anything)

Now I can see what I think is the left shift problem. The image is shifted way off to the left.

Thanks guys!

6. Oswald Pascual

Oswald Pascual Second Unit

What are the chances of buying a new RP91 player now and getting it with the latest firmware on it? Is the new one version 234? THANKS

7. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Oswald, 250 is the very latest firmware. I don't think anybody has ripped it yet. Mine came with 155 and I got 236 which is going around. Best wishes!

8. Jeff D

Jeff D Supporting Actor

David, the U choices are only 1 or 2. Is there something else that needs to be set first? I'm looking everywhere and I can't find it.

THanks

Edit:

Nevermind, had progressive display off and those options weren't enabled.