What's new

RP91 Question--why pauses when watching DVDs? (1 Viewer)

Bruce White

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bruce
Why do I see a "pause" or two in a movie when watching a DVD? I had attributed this to my old TV being unable to "keep up" with the DVD player. However, I've still seen this on my new Mitsubishi 55819.

What happens is that during a movie, the image pauses just for a fraction of a second and then continues. It happens on almost every movie I've watched on my DVD player over the last 6 months.

Do I have some setting wrong?

Bruce

Bill_D

Supporting Actor
I believe you are referring to a "layer change."

Because most DVD's have two layers of information (see DVD and RSDL) there is a point during the disc at which the laser will need to re-focus between the layers. Depending on the player and the authoring of the DVD, this can make the picture and sound pause for a second before the procedure is complete. Good layer changes are usually situated in-between scenes in a film or at some other point where they are not noticed.
Some players are quicker than others. The Panny is pretty good. I have seen some awful delays while making the change on other players.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks