1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

RP91 Problem

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott DeToffol, Dec 24, 2001.

1. Scott DeToffol

Scott DeToffol Stunt Coordinator

Just last night my Panasonic RP91 started pausing during playback. After a few mins of playing (5-20) it starts to pause for 5-10 secs then play for 20 secs, then pause. Sometimes it pauses and does not resume. Sometimes it pauses and then makes a bad noise.

I just upgrades the firmware to 236 but it didn't help. Happens on three different disks.

Any ideas?

2. Myram

Myram Second Unit

Sounds like a heat issue. Is there plenty of clearance around the RP-91? Is there plenty of air movement, and it is not sitting on the receiver or amp?

If that is not it, then maybe the DVD's are dirty...but a little strange if all 3 were dirty. Maybe your lens is dirty, you might want to have it looked at to see if that is it.

3. Scott DeToffol

Update.

I took my RP-91 in to the local Panasonic Factory Service Center to get it fixed. The clerk took down my problem (acted like he had heard it all before) and told me it would be $75 for labor. They called and said it would be a week or so because they had to order a part.

When I picked it up they said they had replaced a part (REP3095C Module CBA). I took it home and played a disk. Same exact problem. It didn't even make it 15 mins before the disk stopped. Blah.

So I took it back AGAIN and was trying to be patient with the guy. I asked him to try again and this time to test it. He said "oh, we always test them, usually with multiple disks." I bit my tounge and said, "well, could you write down to test it all the way through a movie, not just a few minutes?"

So we'll see what happens.

4. Scott DeToffol

For the record, they fixed it. They replaced the laser assembly and it now works.

I'm happy to have it back. I had borrowed my old Toshiba 3109 from the friend I sold it too and really missed progressive and auto-scaling of non-anamorphic.