What's new

rp91 or dv-37 (1 Viewer)

Barry V

Grip
my 5109 is growing old and its time to replace. Have a mits 46805 and from what I gather the rp91 can adjust ratio on anamorphic dvd. Does the rp91 suffer from the bug? I have been told the elite does. Any other major problems with each unit? Price difference is minor, so give me your best ideas. Thanks

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
No current Panasonic DVD player exhibits the Chroma Upsampling error, aka the Chroma bug.

The Pioneer uses a proprietary chipset for de-interlacing, and the Panasonic uses the Genesis chipset.

Regards,

Jaehoon Heo

Stunt Coordinator
I am not a great videophile, but I know one, who rated RP91 almost the best picture in most aspects. He preferred it to even its higher-end H2000. In addition to the chroma bug existing in Pioneer Elite players(I may be wrong, not sure), he pointed out some severe ringing and oversharpened edge of Pioneer picture in progressive mode. RP91 has DVD-A feature advantage over DV-37, too.

If you are mostly concerned about video quality, look into RP91 or some DVD players with Faroudja deinterlacer like Philips Q50(is this available in USA?) or Kenwood Sovereign players.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Barry,

Many people here have said that the Pioneer Elite DV-37 and DV-38A exhibit the chroma bug. The Panasonic DVD-RP91 has gotten some good press here. I have its predecessor, the Technics DVD-A10 (no progressive-scan output), and it's an excellent player. The 'RP91 isn't built as well, but it still looks to be solid. In comparing the the 'RP91 to the Pioneer Elite '37, note that you get DVD-Audio with the 'RP91. Based on what people are saying about the picture quality offered by the 'RP91, I'd say get one and don't look back.

People have been high on the Kenwood Sovereign players with the Faroudja deinterlacing chip, but the 'RP91 is considerably cheaper. The Sovereign DV-5700 is a five-disc changer with DVD-Audio and typically sells for $1200, while the Sovereign DV-5900M is a 403-disc megachanger with DVD-Audio that sells for $1500.

Jaehoon,

The Philips Q50 is available in the US. It's an odd-looking player.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks