What's new

RP91 on its way! (1 Viewer)

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Today is my birthday and my wife, the wonderful woman that she is, gave me the thumbs up on ordering a Panasonic RP91! I am so excited.. can't wait! It should be here by Thursday or so. Now I can watch those few non-enhanced discs I own in beautiful progressive scan! Yee haw! :)
Mark
Did I mention that I was excited?! :)
------------------
Our Home Theater
Our DVD Collection

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Congratulations Mark! Don't forget to bookmark that thread with the RP91 FAQ here in Hardware. I love my RP91 (returning the 700P this weekend to Good Guys).
------------------
My dealer of choice (especially if you live in So-Cal, I highly recommend them): www.yawaonline.com

Link Removed for their Link Removed reviews

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Excellent choice, Mark. I have been revisiting the non-anamorphic discs in my collection since getting my RP-91 (it was a birthday gift from my wife, too). I usually passed on viewing these titles since upgrading to a 16x9 TV, since they did not look nearly as good as the anamorphic discs in the collection. While I still prefer "enhanced for 16x9" titles, the non-anamorphic transfers are now much more "watchable".
------------------
My DVD Collection
AFI 100 Films to watch: 40 -> 7

James D S

Screenwriter
Congrats Mark. Let us know how you like it. You know we can't get enough reviews of that unit.
wink.gif

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
icon14.gif
icon14.gif
Mark. Being a person with a very little patience :) I gave myself an RP-91 for my birthday. For the money it's a very nice performer. I rank it just below my 9000ES in video performance and it gives me DVD-A, whereas the 9000ES provides me with SACD and a better CD performance and build quality.
The RP91 is hard to beat as a DVD player for those entering the progressive world.
Your equal audio opportunity employer,
laugh.gif

------------------
RAF
[Demented Video Dude since 1997]
[Computer Maven since 1956]
["PITA" since 1942]
Link Removed

Victor L

Auditioning
Congrats Mark! I've been searching for a progressive DVD player for the last while. The final answer is the Panny rp91. I read somewhere that the champagne units arrived way b4 the black ones. Are there any recent fixes (eg. for the image shifts off centre) employed on the recent black units?

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, guys, for all of the congrats! I'm looking forward to installing this new baby in my equipment cabinet almost as much as I looked forward to the arrival of my Pioneer SD-582! :)
Victor,
I believe that the firmware in the black RP91s is the same firmware found in the champagne RP91s. If it was different, I'm sure we would have heard about it by now. The centering issues have been resolved except, of course, for the overscan in 4:3 movies. For the few times I watch 4:3 movies, I'm not too concerned about the overscan on the left side.
Mark
------------------
Our Home Theater
Our DVD Collection
[Edited last by Mark Booth on August 06, 2001 at 08:55 PM]

Dan M

Second Unit
JUst wanted to jump in this thread and say congrats to you Mark.
I just received my RP91 (black) today as well. I'm already blown away by how much better non-anamorphs look. PLANET OF THE APES looked incredible.
There's a ton of features I haven't tapped into yet. The unit seems a little over my head at the moment. I've got a lot of reading to do!
You won't be dissapointed Mark, I'm quite sure!
------------------

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
OK... picture Steve Martin in The Jerk. Remember his excitement when the new phone books arrived?
It's here!! It's here!! My new Panasonic RP-91 is here!!
:)
What a beauty! Love the gold accents against the black case!
In case anyone is interested, I purchased mine from etronics.com. $435 plus shipping. Etronics.com has great prices but, like some other rock-bottom e-tailers, makes up for part of that with higher than normal shipping charges. I paid for 3-day delivery which came to $39 ("shipping, handling and insurance") for a grand total of $474 delivered. That was the best price I could find. I would have preferred to give my business to onecall.com (I've done a lot of business with them) but, in this case, they just weren't able to quote me a price within $30 of etronics.com's price.
Don't know if etronics.com is an "authorized" Panasonic dealer but the unit I received is a US/Canada model with normal US (or Canadian) warranty.
Anyway... guess what I will be doing all day?
biggrin.gif

Mark
[Edited last by Mark Booth on August 09, 2001 at 12:11 PM]

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Don't know if etronics.com is an "authorized" Panasonic dealer
I just bought a Technics DVD-A10 and according to J&R, etronics is not an authorized Technics dealer. Not sure about Panasonic. That's why they wouldn't match price. However, including shipping (etronics shipping is incredibly overpriced) J&R beat etronics easily for my piece.
------------------
Philip Hamm
AIM: PhilBiker

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
My wife comes home from work this evening and I'm anxious to show her the beautiful new machine sitting in the equipment cabinet. I show it to her, point out the nifty-looking gold accents, demonstrate how it automagically detects the disc content's aspect ratio and "scales" the image on-screen appropriately.
Her comment.... "I like the blue light!"
Well, at least she noticed the blue light! :)
Question for the collective.. Is there a listing anywhere of titles that are improperly flagged (ala Titanic)? It would be nice if I could make a list of those titles that end up "windowboxed" (all four sides). Thanks!
Mark
P.S. This machine is awesome!

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Mark,
If you own Run Lola, Run, try the German DD5.1 version with English subtitles. I was watching this disc last night, and the subtitles froze during the second scene with Lola and Manni in bed (where Manni asks Lola what she would do if he died). While the picture and dialogue were playing fine, the subtitle "Lola" was frozen on the screen. Pressing STOP and then PLAY fixed the problem.
This is the first glitch I have seen with the RP-91. This is also the first film I have watched with subtitles turned on.
As for non-anamorphic widescreen discs that are not flagged properly for widescreen (requiring the player to be put into ZOOM mode manually), I am finding that the majority of my discs are not flagged properly. So far, Planet Of The Apes and Armageddon have been fine, but most others I have tried needed manual intervention (I have not yet tried Titanic or The Abyss).
------------------
My DVD Collection
AFI 100 Films to watch: 40 -> 7
[Edited last by Scott Merryfield on August 10, 2001 at 07:58 AM]

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
That's funny, Mark. The first thing I did was to disable the blue light.
biggrin.gif

It bums me out that the dimmer for the RP91 doesn't have an "OFF" setting. I like to be in near darkness when I watch my movies, and my components (by virtue of space limitations) have to be in the line of sight. I don't like anything taking the eye away from the screen.
Time to go out and buy some car-window-tint stuff to apply to the LCD of the RP91.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Congrats Mark!
I'm taking RAF's approach...mine should arrive tomorrow as a companion to the Sony 9000. I can't wait!
- Steve
------------------
gotremo.jpg

Got Remo?

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I'm taking RAF's approach...mine should arrive tomorrow as a companion to the Sony 9000.
Steve,
Welcome to the 9000ES/RP91 club! I'll be interested in hearing your impressions regarding the comparison of these two machines. I've already formed some early opinions comparing both of them that I'll share with you once you've had a chance to see them both in action side by side. (I'll wait until you check the RP91 out before discussing this further so I don't subconsciously influence your opinion one way or another.)
Happy viewing/listening!
------------------
RAF
[Demented Video Dude since 1997]
[Computer Maven since 1956]
["PITA" since 1942]
Link Removed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks