RP91, looking for a month, can't find one

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason Cole, Dec 30, 2001.

1. Jason Cole

Jason Cole Extra

Hey Y'all,

I've been a lurker on the forum for a couple of years and value everyone's opinion. It's time to buy a new DVD player and I've gotten it narrowed to the Panny RP91. As far as I can tell, it's the only one besides the JVC progressive players to reformat non anamorphic material in progressive mode. The problem is that I can't find it ANYWHERE. Online or in the Chicago area. If anyone has a track on where I could find one of these beauties, or other suggestions for a player with that feature, I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks

Jason

2. Myram

Myram Second Unit

Well I know my local Tweeter has them in stock, but they also want $699 for it. If price is no matter to you, you could send me the money + shipping and I'll pick it up and send it to you.

Did you do a search on Yahoo shopping, then call all of those dealers? Or how about Pricegrabber.com , and do the same thing there.

Let me know what you want to do and I'll help you out if I can.

3. Chip_Slattery

Chip_Slattery Stunt Coordinator

Jason,
    OneCall currently has them in stock in both black and champagne for $629.96. (includes shipping) Not sure if this is a fair price or not.
    I've never purchased from them but I've always heard good things.

4. Miles_W

Miles_W Second Unit

Ecost still advertises them for 429... I'm not sure if they have them in stock though...

Miles

5. TylerZ

TylerZ Stunt Coordinator

Crutchfields has them in their catalog for $699, not sure about online. www.crutchfield.com

6. Ben Chick

Ben Chick Agent

I called many of the stores that were listed for RP91N through DealTime's price search and all of them are out of stock. I was going to order from MoreAudioVideo.com until I called and they said they were out of stock. The reviews for this store are terrible anyway. What stinks is that 1 day before Christmas, I checked and dozens of online stores listed as having these in stock. Of course right after Christmas when I finally collect all my Christmas gifts, I can afford it and no one has any to sell. I have put one on backorder at ecost anyway. Hoping they will receive some more soon.

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jason, note that ecost is not an authorized dealer. OneCall and J&R Music World will probably offer the best prices among authorized dealers and will probably match one another.

8. Jason Cole

Jason Cole Extra

Thanks y'all for the info. Sadly, I don't think I can exactly swing 600+ for one of these puppies quite yet. I'll just cross my fingers that one of these e-tailers like "abt" get them in as promised....

thanks again

jason

9. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jason, I just remembered that American Express is having a promotion with their "Blue" card that offers price matching up to $250 off or something like that. So, you could buy the player for say $630 from OneCall and get a significant savings by using a Blue card. Search this site for discussions of the American Express Blue promotion. I don't know when the promotion ends (today since it's 12/31?). I believe it was PatrickM who reported this promotion here originally.

10. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

11. Shawn Shultzaberger

Shawn Shultzaberger Supporting Actor

www.dealmountain.com has them in stock for $468.00. There are now 9 Champagne and 3 black left in stock. I called and confirmed they were in stock before I ordered.
    I have no idea as to how reputable they are but it is on order. Total for my order was $481.00 shipped to CO.

12. Jason Cole

Jason Cole Extra

Thanks a lot. I just called them myself and the guy insists that he has them in stock. I ordered one ! Let's cross our fingers and hope we get them. All I need now is credit card fraud to deal with ! This is a happy day !

jason

13. Ben Chick

Ben Chick Agent

I ordered one too.. only champagne colored left (which is all I wanted anyway). Cancelled my order at ecost. I figure it may cost $20 more, but I also might have it in 3 days. Hope I was not too late. I thought about it for an hour at lunch before ordering and cancelling the ecost.com one.

14. Scott-C

Scott-C Supporting Actor

I just ordered my RP-91 from J&R a few hours ago. Although they aren't in stock, they're due in in 7 to 10 days. I would have preferred if they were in stock, but I've dealt with J&R before, they have a good reputation, and they're an authorized dealer. And, they price-matched for me so I got it for what I feel is a very good price.

Note that J&R will price match any dealer who is a Panasonic authorized dealer, and will also match for you if you can provide the name of a former customer of J&R (i.e. "my friend Joe Smith purchased an RP-91 from you a few weeks ago for $XXX...will you match this price?" You do have to know the price he paid for it, however, and they'll look up the order in their system.

15. Bill McCamy

Bill McCamy Second Unit

According to this thread at the avs forum, the RP91 is discontinued.

16. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

Thank God I already have one of these. [​IMG]

17. Ben Chick

Ben Chick Agent

I verified with Deal Mountain that my order has been put in the queue. I was told my RP91 shall be shipped on wednesday and I would likely have it friday. I can't wait! It seems Deal Mountain is also very fast to update their stock status on their webpage. It currently says there are only 4 champagne-colored in stock.. exactly what they told me over the phone when I called to verify. I'm very excited about this player. I may find out soon that the 2002 models are better, but I may also find out that they are a bunch more pricey. I didn't want to miss the opportunity to own one. I have read too many good things about this particular player and it sounds like a real shame that it has been discontinued. Now I just wait. [​IMG]

18. Brian Corr

Brian Corr Supporting Actor

I have a 2 month old champagne RP-91 I would like to sell. I'll even throw in the audio cables for DVD-audio. If anyone is still looking, email me. [email protected]

19. Scott-C

Scott-C Supporting Actor

20. Damien Montanile

Damien Montanile Stunt Coordinator

I ordered my player from ecost last week...I asked when the next batch would be shipped and they said December 29th/30th (which is a sunday so that beats the hell out of me...Since it is in fact around the Christmas / New Year season Im willing to give some time. Though they stated that my order would not be charged until it was ready to ship. The next day I got a call from my CC company's fraud investigation unit to make sure that I had made the purchase. So things are really starting to get weird.

-Damien