What's new

RP91 is driving me crazy ! (1 Viewer)

Jason Cole

Grip
Ok, great picture out of the box but one problem.

When watching a non anamorphic letterboxed movie in progressive scan where we've got black bars on top and sides (keep that 0AR correct)the picture is shifted to the LEFT. I know the last upgrade fixed that in ananamorphic stuff, but does this problem happen to anyone else ?

Also, I've been playing with setting for 2 weeks, can't get it right. How do some others here set U1-U4 ?

Thanks

jason

David X

Stunt Coordinator
I just got mine on Thursday.

After reading the FAQ ...

I set all the U* settings to zero, and U4 transfer mode to auto2 and 4:3 mode to auto, then recalibrated the set with VE.

I haven't noticed any shifting problems on mine yet, but I watch non-anomorphic letterbox movies in progressive auto2 zoom mode with my 16:9 set. My mitsu 65905 locks up in "full" mode with a progressive signal, so I have to use the players aspect controls at all times, which is fine.

I think I did notice with one non-anomorphic letterbox title that I had to change the u4 4:3 mode manually to get rid of the side bars, so I ended up watching it in OAR with no side bars.

-David

Jason Cole

Grip
thanks, although the faq is great, it doesn't say anything about the shifting problem, making me think i have a bad player. Looks like it's going in for service !

David X

Stunt Coordinator
Do you have a 16:9 or 4:3 tv? If it's 16:9 and the 4:3 "auto" setting isn't selecting zoom mode for you for this title, go into U4 and do it manually. I had to select zoom mode manually with one title so far because the player decided to display a non-anomorphic (probably incorrectly flagged dvd) with black bars on top/bottom and on the sides, rather than zoom it for me. This is one of the reasons to have this player .. to have the player do the scaling for you, especially with non-anamorphic titles.

The FAQ does mention a couple of different shifting problems.

Once you have a picture up, you may notice one of two issues. With a 4:3 set in Pan&Scan mode you will find that the black bar is wider on the left and narrower on th right. Also the right side of the 4:3 image has 0% overscan, but the left side has 2-4% overscan. Robert George is on top of this waiting for a reply from Panasonic.

The other issue is for 16x9 owners where the image is shifted horizontally to the left. Again, the fix for me was from Obi. To shift it to the right, press the joystick button right and hold. With the remote aimed at the 91, press the STOP button on the player's panel. This will shift the image over by 2 pixels. To shift it again you must repeat the entire process. These settings will remain in the player unless AC power is removed and you have to re-centre again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks