RP91 HO2 and Power problem

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by James Grasso, Jun 19, 2005.

1. James Grasso

James Grasso Agent

Recently, my Panasonic RP91 started to shut off randomly. The player just turns itself off, then won't turn back on until it seems to decide it wants to. I've noticed that it often seems to help to unplug it for a while, then plugging it in again.

This last time, I noticed that when I tried to play a movie, it gave me an HO2 error. This seems to be either a spindle or optical error of some sort from what I've read. The problem has been getting worse of late, and I just now (in the middle of typing this, lol) got it to turn on long enough to hear that the spindle doesn't seem to be spinning.

I guess what I'm asking now is: How much does it sound like this may cost to be repaired, and will it need to be taken in to a shop or could I do it myself (I'm not extremely versed in A/V repair etc. but slightly)? I'm just looking for any sort of input on this before I take it in, if possible.

Thanks in Advance

2. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

From what I've heard, the rather common HO2 error is a failure of the optical pickup assembly. I have absolutely no idea how much the repair would be, but Panasonic CS should be able to provide some assistance in the matter, as it is a pretty common failure on their DVD players...

3. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

I think it's the spindle motor. The motor itself is like $35 from panasonic. Here's what I would do. Take off the top cover, which is attached by like four screws. Plug in the unit and try to play a disc and see if the motor turns. My 91 wouldn't turn, but if I gave it a little push start it would run and play the disc. If you can do this, it's the spindle motor.