RP91 firmware upgrade

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason Cole, Jan 2, 2002.

1. Jason Cole

Jason Cole Extra

I thought I read something about this but a search doesn't bring much up. Is there a cd rom out there for this or am I making this whole thing up ? Any info would be helpful. I haven't even gotten mine from dealmountain yet, but this upgrade thing makes me nervous that I just blew $480 bucks.

Thanks

jason

2. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    Here is the HTF thread:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...=RP91+firmware
    and the files can be found in links in this thread at AVS:
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...threadid=96646
    By the way, I finally got around to burning the ISO image file to a disc last week and the upgrade worked fine on my player.
    Don't sweat your purchase. It's a great player. Check your firmware version when you get it (see instructions in the thread for how to do that) and if it's lower than 236 do the upgrade. You'll be good to go.

3. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

Back when this first started people who could burn the upgrade were offering to send it to the poor unfortunates like myself who can't, since once you've used it, it's basically of no use to you. Back then, I didn't ask for a copy cause I was getting ready to go out of town for a while on vacation. But now that I'm back, if anyone has a copy of 236 that they don't need and would like to send it to me, just send me a private message. Much appreciated. [​IMG]

4. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

An offer has been made. [​IMG] Thank you.

5. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

I just checked my RP91 and the screen says

H088 50G188

not sure what firmware this is.

I may need a copy of that new firmware if one is available

as I too don't have a burner at this time.

JohnG:b

6. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

^

7. Steve Morgan

Steve Morgan Second Unit

Steve
    If anyone needs a Cd to upgrade to the 236 new version I have one that was sent to me and worked great. Let me know and its yours.I just ask that once used to, pay it forward!

Cheers,

Steve Morgan

8. RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv Stunt Coordinator

John:

The last three digits are the firmware number. So, your firmware version is 188. That is the one mine shipped with.

You should upgrade to 236. It fixes the centering issue, and the pink tint when exiting the audio menu setup incorrectly. Others have said it does other things with the brightness/contrast, but I can't verify that.

SMK

9. Myram

Myram Second Unit

I will make copies for anyone who needs one, I have already been contacted by a few people.

Email me for more details.

10. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Is it possible to burn the firmware up to a CD-RW so that you could get some more use out of the CD-RW once you're done burning the firmware update?

11. Jim Douglas

Jim Douglas Second Unit

Patrick,

I burned mine to a CD-RW disc and it worked fine. I then deleted the files and reused the disc.

Later

Jim

12. Scott-C

Scott-C Supporting Actor

I heard that some people were having problems burning their firmware upgrade. Anything strange I should look out for when I try to burn mine? (I think I have a link to the instructions somewhere, so I'm just looking for tips that may not be in the instructions).

Thanks!

13. Steve Tack

Steve Tack Agent

I just upgraded mine from 155 to 236 and it works fine. (as others have run into, 4:3 material on mine used to be slightly shifted to the left - now it's severely shifted to the right. No big deal really though)

I used the "Create CD From Image" option of the Easy CD Creator 4 software that came bundled with my CD burner and used the "disc-at-once" option. There really weren't any other options to set (and therefore few ways to screw it up!). I did burn it at 8x, since I used a cheapo CD-R disc that's only rated to that speed.

It did take quite a long time for the update itself to occur, so my advice is to be patient. I didn't time it, but it seems like it took something like 10-15 minutes, which seems weird, but it eventually did finish.

14. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

I would like to thank Steve Morgan who has kindly agreed to send my a 236 firmware update for my RP91.

I will post when the copy will be available to the next person who needs it.

JohnG

15. Jason Cole

Jason Cole Extra

I just got my player and the pic is already shifted to the right...the insert in the directions say hit pause, joystick to the left, hold it and hit stop. I do this but nothing happens. Any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong. Will the upgrade fix this ?

thanks