What's new

RP91 features not needed? (1 Viewer)

TomL

Grip
From many other threads here, it looks like the Panasonic RP91 is one of the best values in a DVD player, due in part to its excellent "zoom" feature. My question, after talking to a Marantz representative today, is that feature really needed with the latest RPTVs? I just purchased the new Hitachi 43-inch 16:9 RPTV, and the rep said that my TV's stretch modes will be better than what the RP91 can do, since the $2000 TV uses better components than the $500 RP91 or Marantz DVD players.
Is there any merit to this or is it just salesman BS? I'm debating between getting the RP91 ($450) or the Marantz DV6200 ($599) to go with my Marantz SR7200 receiver. By the way - is there any benefit to matching the DVD brand with the receiver brand?

RyanDinan

Stunt Coordinator
Tom,
I would think that the DVD player would do a better job converting non-anamorphic DVD's to anamorphic, since it's all done in the digital domain. Plus, the RP91 will automatically resize 4:3 material (adds black bars to the sides) to allow 16:9 sets that "lock" into full mode when a progressive signal is fed.
I think that rep has things backwards, or did not understand your question...
-Ryan Dinan
------------------
Link Removed

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
The RP91 definitely has a better picture when scaling non-anamorphic images to fill a 16x9 screen. I tested this on my TW40X81, which has a built-in "squeeze mode". The difference is night and day, at least on my calibrated set. Light output is improved as well with the RP91.
Scaling of 4x3 material with the side-bars is pretty good. My Tosh's "horizontal squeeze" mode yields a better picture than the RP91, as there is not loss of horizontal information whereas the RP91 WILL remove vertical lines from the image (easily tested with the resolution patterns on the Avia disc). However, the Tosh has bad geometry and convergence artifacts on both sides of the picture, as it makes no attempt to mask the imperfections.
I always use the RP91's scaling modes for non-anamorphic and 4x3 material.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks