RP91 features not necessary?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by TomL, Sep 5, 2001.

1. TomL

TomL Extra

Aug 31, 2001
    From many other threads here, it looks like the Panasonic RP91 is one of the best values in a DVD player, due in part to its excellent "zoom" feature. My question is, after talking to a Marantz representative today, is that feature really needed with the latest RPTVs? I just purchased the new Hitachi 43-inch 16:9 RPTV, and the rep said that my TV's stretch modes will be better than what the RP91 can do, since the $2000 TV uses better components than the $500 RP91 or Marantz DVD players.
    Is there any merit to this or is it just salesman BS? I'm debating between getting the RP91 ($450) or the Marantz DV6200 ($599) to go with my Marantz SR7200 receiver. Is there any benefit to matching the DVD brand with the receiver brand?
  2. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Dec 16, 1998
    The RP-91's zoom/scaling feature is used for displaying non-anamorphic widescreen material on a 16x9 TV. While I am not familiar with your Hitachi set, the RP-91's zoom/scaling is vastly superior to the zoom-only viewing
    mode of my Toshiba 56H80 16x9 set. I would be surprised if your Hitachi is much better.
    One other advantage to the zoom/scaling on the RP-91 is when viewing the extra features on a disc. Many times this material with alternate between anamorphic widescreen, non-anamorphic widescreen and full frame. If you use the TV's viewing modes, you will constantly be switching between three different modes as you watch the supplemental features. Using the RP-91 with it's auto zoom mode, you can leave your TV in FULL mode (or whatever Hitachi calls it) and let the player automatically handle the different
    formats. Switching viewing modes on the TV can get tiresome (I used to own a Toshiba 6200 progressive player that required this before upgrading to the RP-91).
    Also, as a former Toshiba 6200 player owner, I could see no advantage to it being from the same manufacturer as my Toshiba 56H80 television. The Panasonic (and my old Sony interlaced player) matched the television just as well.
    My DVD Collection
    AFI 100 Films to watch: 40 -> 5