RP91 bitrate display?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MTrotter, Jan 15, 2002.

1. MTrotter

MTrotter Stunt Coordinator

Marc
    I read people on this board discussing what the DD or DTS bitrate is for different DVDs. Does the RP91 tell you what the bitrate is. There is a menu icon "Bit", but I don't know if it will tell you this number. Supposedly this number being higher should yield better audio quality. I would like to be able to explore this on my discs. Otherwise, where do people get this info on a disc's bitrate?

2. Jesse Leonard

Jesse Leonard Second Unit

The RP-91 (as most player do) will only show you TOTAL bit rate (the bit rate of the video and audio combined). But the audio bit rate is constant, so you can subtract that out and get a good idea of the overall compression used on the video.

Yes, the menu "bit" function will place a small box in the coner of your screen with the bit rate number.

3. MTrotter

MTrotter Stunt Coordinator

Marc
    Jesse,

Thanks for the reply. I have seen the bitrate display you refer to, while the disc is running, but it usually reads from 2 to 6 or so, plus the decimal figures. What I am talking about is that some people refer to different DD and DTS rates of, say, 324 or 768(approx.), with the higher number supposed to be better for audio quality of the disc. How do I find this out?

4. Martin Fontaine

Martin Fontaine Supporting Actor

Most Sony players will show it, Audio and Video just under... My 360 does at least. I know most people call me a freak, but I refer to audio tracks by bitrate rather than format or channels. To me, knowing that is important!

If I change my DVD player, being able to tell the audio bitrate will be a priority...