What's new

RP91 and banding - Genesis weakness? (1 Viewer)

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
I hooked up my RP91 to my new Panny 53" TV this weekend and watched several movies. I've come to notice that during well-lit and outdoor scenes it looks great. But in dark, shadowy scenes, I see a -lot- of banding coming from light sources and other places where colors move across a gradient, like a shadow across a blank wall. Is this a shortcoming of the Genesis chip that the RP91 uses? Does the DCDi/Sage/Faroudja chip have the same problem? Because while I love this player as a whole, that banding problem is going to drive me crazy.

Is there a clear cut leader for when it comes to image quality during DVD playback in 480p? The other features are nice but this is the most important of all to me, is how the stuff looks.

David Judah

Screenwriter
I haven't noticed it with my RP-91, and I've watched an awful lot of movies on it. I also haven't heard other users report that problem, so maybe it is a defect with your unit. Did you have the same problem on your previous display? Have you ruled out the Panasonic TV?

You might try updating the firmware, if you don't already have the latest.

Good luck,

DJ

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
I doubt it's the TV unless the TV is adding to the signal coming from the DVD player. I see a lot of artifacts/moire/shimmering, as well. It just looks like poor quality deinterlacing to me, simple as that.

David Judah

Screenwriter
There shouldn't be a big problem with de-interlacing unless the source is video based and even then it doesn't do a bad job(just not as good as some of the newer chips).

DJ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation239
Recent bookmarks