What's new

RP82's for $345!? (1 Viewer)

Aaron H

Supporting Actor
I think everyone is too spoiled with the $220 price point for the RP82. If people are paying $350, then that's what they are worth.

I think its funny that people say "before I pay $350 for this player, I'll look at xxx, yyy and zzz instead". Well, then head over to the Secrets view and you'll see these other players that you're considering aren't as good as the RP82.

Aaron

RolandM

Stunt Coordinator
With all this information about the Panasonic RP82, I really wish I had've gotten it instead of the Sony DVP-NS755V I purchased...

I think the RP82 was even less money at the time! (I think it was the RP82 and the NS755V that I was deciding from).

Now I'm seeing the Secrets test reports AND the price these things have gone up to and boy don't I feel stupid.

The only reason I ended up picking the Sony was because I thought I'd rather have SACD than DVD-A.

The RP82 would have been a better DVD player AND I could have used my Technics receiver remote to control it as well :frowning:

What I should have done was bought TWO RP82s, then sold one at the high price it is going at now and bought a NS755V as a second player and I would have ended up with two players for around $200? Who would have known this was going to happen?

It is nuts to see the RP82 going for 2x its price! Why wouldn't people just get an RP91?

Roland M.

Brajesh Upadhyay

Supporting Actor
Just watchout for the rolling horizontal band flashes on the CP72.
I don't have this issue with my CP72. From what I've read @ avs, it mostly likely is a "ground loop" issue. If you keep your power, phone & cable/ant/sat coax cables away from your a/v cables, you should be fine.

JasonLC

Stunt Coordinator
My wonderful rolling horizontal band flashes on both CP72s I had weren't caused from an external source's ground looping. It was caused from an internal ground problem on the video outputs that was most noticable via the component output. I am hearing more and more people notice this problem on the CP72s so I assume there are quite a few batches of them that have this problem. When you get a unit just check for it once you plug it in and if it has the problem decide whether or not you can live with it.

Jeffrey R

Stunt Coordinator
I just received my CP72 from Crutchfield Monday, and didn't notice any white lines when I ran it through its paces on Monday. After reading more about these flashes yesterday, I shut off all of my lights when I got home, loaded in 5 DVD's, and checked during idle with the blue screen, while loading, and actually playing DVD's, and I couldn't see anything abnormal--no flashes. Just a crisp, clear awesome picture. So, who knows how widespread this problem is. There are definitely a large amount of people who say they have experienced no problems with this.

Jeffrey R

Stunt Coordinator
I have a 43" Sony HDTV, running component video, progressive scan, etc. I really looked closely, and did not see any flashes, white lines, banding, etc. Of course, now you got me paranoid again, so I'll probably check again when I get home from work tonight. When do you see it most pronounced--when a disc is loading, playing?

JasonLC

Stunt Coordinator
I saw the flashes during disc loading on the main Panasonic title screen, during playback on darker scenes, when playing a mp3 cd it was really bad on the Panasonic title screen, and when changing discs etc.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
I ordered the CP72 today as the first step in my home-theater-ing...I don't have a TV with component inputs yet (planned upgrade to a 42" plasma in the next 2 yrs). My understanding of this is that the problem only appears on the component outputs, right? If so, I am going to have a friend/coworker test it for me...
I wish I could find an RP82 around here, I do a little bit of selling, I could use $100 :)

JasonLC

Stunt Coordinator
The problem is a lot more noticable on the component output then the S-Video output.

Jeffrey R

Stunt Coordinator
Checked for the problems again tonight, and still didn't see anything problematic. So, guess my unit is fine. I really think this is a pretty isolated problem. The forum boards don't seem swamped with people who have this problem, it is more a person here and there.

James Zos

Supporting Actor
No problems on mine so far either. Overall I think I really like this player, although the tint on my picture is now off and I can't seem to set it correctly...It was always a little off (grayscale problem) but I finally had it pretty decent with my old Sony, now everybody's faces look too red...

Mathew Shelby

Second Unit
You know what is even more hilarious. Three of our fellow members here are price gouging and trying to sell RP82s for $500!

Brajesh Upadhyay

Supporting Actor
It isn't price gouging. We're talking about a frickin' DVD player here, not milk on short supply in a snow storm. RP82's are scarce & if people want them so bad, why should I be stupid & not auction it off? I'm not a charity. If you don't want to pay the price they're going for, don't -- plain & simple. Like I said, it isn't a necessity. It's just a DVD player. If it's worth it to someone, they'll pay for it.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Aaron,

I am one of those people you mentioned who think it's outrageous to pay $350.00 for an RP-82 when you can buy a BRAND NEW region-free version for less than this (or even the CP-72 for gods sake which is the same player in carousel form!). As far as the RP-82 being better than the other players, that is something that "Secrets" or any other reviewer can't say empirically, just as one couldn't "prove" that the Pioneer 45tx sounds better than the Denon 3803. It will depend on your display, your rig, and other needs and requirements, and most importantly what looks good TO YOU. I know more than a few people who prefer Silicon based chips to Faroudja based ones for their displays and so on. Some people spend a lot of time listening to music (like me) and they may require superb DVD-A/SACD/CD playback, something the 82 definitely isn't king at - and yes, I have experience with the 82. I might also add that some of the other players KeithH mentioned as alternatives have the same video section of the 82 with a better audio section. All in all, I do agree that the RP-82 IS the best player you can get for the money, but I'd be careful on general claims of supriority when other factors are considered these days in DVD player purchases.

Reg

AnthonyJS

Agent
You know what is even more hilarious. Three of our fellow members here are price gouging and trying to sell RP82s for $500!
This is by no means price gouging! My hat is off to any and all of those who can get those ridiculous prices for their RP82s! Afterall, isn't this the American way? Capitalism anyone? IMHO, the people buying the RP82s are the crazy ones, the sellers are just plain smart! Like Brajesh said, you don't like the price - then don't buy it!

BenK

Stunt Coordinator
I think what was meant by this is that someone is trying to sell these at an inflated price to HTF members. Which to me is much different than ebay. Normally an HTF member is more knowledgeable than to pay that price. Alternatively I have no problem with someone selling one on ebay for twice the price. If I had one I'd do the same thing.

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
If I had an RP82 it would be up on ebay right now for sure.

BTW, I got my CP72 hooked up last night and crossed my fingers. Yes! No horizonal lines of any kind when playing dark scenes. I noticed nothing out of the ordinary. Seems like a great player except I don't like the menu's as much as my sony. I'll put the player through more tests tonight.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks