RP82's for $345!?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Varacin, Jan 21, 2003.

1. Michael Varacin

Michael Varacin Stunt Coordinator

This is getting out of hand...an RP-82 just sold on E-bay for $345. Another has a current bid of $285.

Talk about a classic case of supply and demand...but at what point is it just crazy?

The funny thing is that the general public has no idea what the demand for these players actually is.

2. Brian Kleinke

Brian Kleinke Supporting Actor

ROFL....

I'm glad I got my CP72 a few weeks ago, seems those are running scarce now too. I'd rather buy an RP91 then an RP82 for those crazy prices!

3. Jeffrey R

Jeffrey R Stunt Coordinator

I agree, it's getting pretty comical. Considering that it has been firmly established that the Panasonic DVDCP72 has the same internals and same picture quality as the RP82, offers a 5-disc changer, comes in black (I know, hard to find) or silver, and can be had from reputable online retailers for $220 delivered, before a $30 rebate and before 5 free blockbuster rentals (which here in NYC equals another $25), it blows my mind what some people will spend for the RP82. But, hey, to each his own.

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

A case study in micro-economics!

5. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
  6. Jeffrey R

Jeffrey R Stunt Coordinator

$407 + $20 shipping--what a bargain. [​IMG] The more I think about it, there are 2 very funny points to this. First, you would think that most people who even know about how good the RP82 is, have found that out by reading this and other forums. In that case, there is no excuse for spending $345, or $407, or anything else even close to that, when the CP72 and even the XP50 have been discussed extensively and are still available. Second, the guy who sold the RP82 on e-bay even posted links to HTF and AVS, so there is doubly no excuse for spending that much on the RP82. Oh well, no big deal though--not my money.

7. Patrick TX

Patrick TX Stunt Coordinator

I just caved in to the hype & picked up an RP-82 from Ultimate Electronics in Frisco, TX this afternoon. It was the LAST ONE btw. The Dallas Galleria location had one left as well. It ran me $206. Too bad I have to wait until Friday to hook it up.

8. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

For crying out loud, before I'd spend $345+ on an 'RP82, I'd take a good look at the Yamaha DV-C6480 or DVD-C920, Denon DVD-1600, and Pioneer Elite DV-45A. I know some of those players will run you a bit more than $345, but still, $345 for the 'RP82 is ludicrous.

9. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

This just goes to show that you can sell ANYTHING on Ebay for ANY price. Hey, if someone wants to spend nearly TWICE the retail price for a discontinued player, then it's a free country. Personally, I'd take KeithH's advice and simply look at units which utilize the same chip and decoder as the RP-82 but have BETTER audio quality (namely, the models that Keith mentioned above). As nice as the 82 was, I could never fork over twice the retail price for one when betetr can be had imho.

Reg

10. James Zos

James Zos Supporting Actor

All the attention given to this player combined with the scant supply, have created a classic feeding frenzy. Remember when people were paying more than $1,000 for the Playstation 2 when it was on backorder, just because it was the "must have" item?
    In this case it is almost like a little mini-religion, with the RP82 the idol of worship.

11. AnthonyJS

AnthonyJS Agent

Oh man, if I could sell an RP82 on eBay for $407 like that person did, I would do it in a heartbeat! I'd then plunk down about $50 more and pick up the Denon DVD-1600!

12. Han

Han Second Unit

With what I can forsee as no (great PQ) players coming up with aspect ratio control, including the Denon 2900 or the Philips 963, I think I might as well bite the bullet and just buy the stupid [​IMG] Denon 1600.

Sigh[​IMG]

13. Brajesh Upadhyay

Brajesh Upadhyay Supporting Actor

I'm the guy who sold that RP82 on eBay :b. I agree with you guys... get the CP72 or another reputable DVD player. When I saw the crazy demand, I couldn't resist, so I put my RP82 on eBay for the heck of it. Basically, selling my RP82 made my CP72 purchase a freebie. Both players have exactly the same picture & audio quality.

You can get a new CP72 from Crutchfield for $229.99 - $20 referral discount - $30 rebate = $179.99. If anyone wants the $20 Crutchfield discount, just e-mail me.

14. TanD

TanD Stunt Coordinator

there is another option

For $365 you can get a brand new RP82 region-free with Macrovision disable. Why bid on ebay?.

15. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Brajesh,

There is also another $20 discount that can be added onto this for the final price of $159.99. That's what I got it for.

16. Brajesh Upadhyay

Brajesh Upadhyay Supporting Actor

Jeff, you're talking about the MasterCard $20 discount right? I used that one too, but forgot the URL. Plus you get 5 free Blockbuster rentals. All in all, it's a damn good deal!

17. Bill Spahn

Bill Spahn Auditioning

18. Juan_R

Juan_R Supporting Actor

I am thinking about selling my 82 and getting the 72 because I hate getting up and switching DVD's. The only thing holding me back is the fact that my TV was profesionaly calibrated with the 82 and it would suck if the color was different when using the 72.

19. Juan_R

Juan_R Supporting Actor

Well, I just ordered the 72 from Crutchfield, if the color does not changed from the 82 to the 72, then I will be selling my 82 on e-bay as well.

20. JasonLC

JasonLC Stunt Coordinator

Just watchout for the rolling horizontal band flashes on the CP72. Also get some magnifying glasses to see it's LCD display. :) Other then those issues it is an excellent player and deal.