RP82 vs. RP62 Shootout

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Perkins, Aug 8, 2002.

1. Chris Perkins

Chris Perkins Stunt Coordinator

Alright, I got my RP62 basically because I didn't have enough patience to wait until the RP82 started shipping and I have been completely satisfied with it. Well, my friend got his RP82 a couple of days ago, and he was raving about it. And after reading a post in this forum about how great the RP82 is, I was feeling some "buyer's remorse". So last night we decided to do a "blind" side by side comparison of picture quality on my 47" Panny(ISF calibrated).
    Five of us gathered, with one person responsible for hooking the players up and keying up scenes for comparison.
    We used The Fifth Element, LOTR, and Apocalypse Now Redux.
    Well folks, the verdict is in and the winner is.....the RP62! The score was an overwhelming 8 to 3. And although some scenes were very, very hard to award a winner to, we decided to stay away from ties. Needless to say, both units deliver an awesome picture, with the edge going to the RP62 for scenes with an abundance of color. I was certain it was going to be the other way around, but was pleasantly surprised by the final results. Bye, Bye "buyer's remorse"!
    Chris

2. BobJ

BobJ Stunt Coordinator

Was your set recalibrated for each player?
    My friends and I came to the opposite conclusion in a comparison between the 56/62/82 with the 82 coming out on top. We also watched more material including some poorly done discs. It's easy for a player to look good on well done material.
    However, as with any setup and tests, YMMV. [​IMG]
    Glad you are happy with your 62. [​IMG]

3. Brian D Scott

Brian D Scott Stunt Coordinator

I tell you, I found a great video test yesterday when I finally watched The Man Who Wasn't There. There are some scenes of high contrast as well as grey shading (it's in B&W, FYI) that really showed what the RP82 could do once your set's calibrated. It really blew my socks off!

4. Peter Hunt

Peter Hunt Stunt Coordinator

man you guys are driving me nuts. I ust bought a Hitachi 51UWX20B and went to buy the DVD player... I couldn't remember if I had decided on the RP62 or RP82. Can't we get a concensus here of the better unit! Ack! Must... Buy... New... PLayer... MUST!

5. Chris Perkins

Chris Perkins Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, my friend who was responsible for "moderating" the comparison(He happens to write audio/video reviews for a local magazine) tried to make sure all things were equal- same cables, ideal settings(recalibrating for each player),
    and of course, making sure we were not aware of which player was in use at a given time[​IMG] .
    Surely not scientific, but a big thumbs up for the RP62!
    Chris

6. MikeM

MikeM Screenwriter

I have had both players. I bought the RP62 originally, but took it back since the RP82 was finally shipping.

The end result: Picture quality was better on the RP82, hands down.

I used this in progressive mode on a Sony XBR400, and adjusted the picture on each with AVIA.

As also mentioned in a different thread that the RP62 could not play a DVD-R I burned, and that the RP82 plays the exact same DVD-R disc perfectly. That alone is worth the RP82 in my book.

Sorry, but in my results, I conclude just the opposite. If it works for you, then that's cool, and enjoy the RP62!

7. BobJ

BobJ Stunt Coordinator