rp82 settings

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by hwshi, Nov 2, 2002.

1. hwshi

hwshi Stunt Coordinator

man i feel sorry for people who can't even set the time on their vcrs!
    ok here goes.these are my settings after what i gathered in numerous searches on the rp82.
    i have an xbr400 and am running it in progressive mode.

-picture mode-u1/3d nr-0/block nr-0/mosquito nr-0
    -u2/transfer mode-auto1
    -still mode-auto
    -black level-darker
    -digital audio output-on(remaster off) not clear if this has any affect on dvd movies?
    -dynamic range-off

what i've found with these settings (keeping in mind that i had last callibrated my tv with a sony dvp36 interlaced player) was that i had a VERY dark picture and the reds are way hot.is this normal for this progressive player? i did recallibrate last night and haven't had a chance to check out the results with a movie yet.the blues are dead on, the red is 20%+ and the green is -20% so i had to bring down the color settings to normalize the red.
    i had to push up my brightness and picture to almost 50% to be able to faintly see the the brighter moving black bar on one of the avia tests.thats from it being set at about 30% with my old dvd player.however the sharpness tests rock! were i used to get a little flutter from some of the finer lines,they are rock solid now.sharpness is around 30%
    just wondering if this is normal to have some settings so high after switching from an interlaced player to a progressive player? i found my xbox to also be dark,which was my first chance to see progressive signals on my tv.
    any comments appreciated

2. Guy Usher

Guy Usher Supporting Actor

I have noticed the same thing with some DVD players, interlace being much brighter than progressive, however I recently purchased a Tos SD3800, both modes were dead on. Are there known players with this "problem"? My Sony NS700p does this, not drastic but a signifant difference between the two modes. . .

3. hwshi

hwshi Stunt Coordinator

hi guy,that's what i am wondering too.however i noticed that my xbox is also dark,so it makes me believe that a progressive signal output is darker,or it's an xbr issue.