RP82, RP91, Denon 3800, SVS 20-39PCi, oh my! Help...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by inazuma, Sep 9, 2002.

1. inazuma

inazuma Extra

... brain fried... need... help!
    Been researching for a good couple weeks now and would officially like to ask for advice. My Panny A310 is on its way out. Everyone seemed to have problems with it, but mine has worked great since I got it 3 years ago (but now it's being bad).
    Current setup is 5.1 with a Kenwood VR-2090 and Infinity RS speakers and a BU-2 woofer, displayed on a Tosh 50H81. So I need a new (sweet) DVD Player to tie me over until HD-DVD/blue lasers. It was a battle between the Denon 3800 and the Panny RP-91, but now it seems the RP-82 wants some of the action too. Oh and I'm looking at those SVS Subs and I can't stop drooling.
    Here's my problem. I have about $1000-$1200 to spend. My choices are:
    1) Denon 3800
    2) RP-91 + SVS 20-39 PCi
    3) RP-82 + SVS 20-39 PCi
    Thoughts on the best thing to do? I mainly do movies, so PQ is essential. Music isn't that important, though I still occasionally listen. DVD-A not important now, esp. since my Receiver can't handle it, but my next upgrade will probably be the receiver, so having the capability is a plus.
    What I like about the Denon: buffer for seamless layer changes, build quality, PQ, and SQ. No Chroma bug via firmware update. Dislike: recent reports of freezing, price [​IMG]
    What I like about the RP-91: proven track record (people love their RP-91). Dislike: layer change long? Build quality? Getting old.
    What I like about RP-82: just came out, great chip, great MP3 playback. Dislike: hear layer changes are slow, not too many reviews yet.
    As for the SVS, I guess I really don't need a new sub since the BU-2 works fine. It's just a bit boomy and I want a completely different experience and all reviews I've read rave about the SVS.
    Thoughts? More pro/cons for the DVD players? Thanks much.

2. Ken Custodio

Ken Custodio Second Unit

I would also suggest the Denon 1600.
    I just got one the other week and I think it is a great piece of equipment.

Get a Denon 1600 @ $425 + SVS 20-39PCi @ $549

for less than $1100 you'll get a DVD player that video-wise is as good or better than the RP91 but will have better DVD-A and CD playback. Since your TV doesn't lock into full mode with a progressive signal, you don't exactly need the scaling featues of the RP91 for non-anamorphic DVDs.

Just my 2 cents,

3. Thomas P.

Thomas P. Stunt Coordinator

Is there anything else that you are looking for in a DVD Player? Time remaining? Coaxel out? etc. The Denon 3800 is supposed to be the best bar none. I have the 2800 and the 1600. Having seen the 3800 in action only briefly, I feel that the 1600 captures much of the video quality of the 3800. The RP-82 and the 1600 are very similar since the 1600 is a retooled RP-56. The 1600 is excellent and I prefer it to the 2800 because it has better color saturation and a sharper picture, but it doesn't have time remaining, or chapter remaining, or many other features. I didn't buy the 3800 this year because I personally got tired of spending what is a lot of money for me only to find that something reputedly better replaced it a year later. Seems to me there is quite a bit of lateral moving going on right now. Also, I am a little wary of "pure" Denon DVD players because I have lock up problems and other erratic behavior from the 2800 and I have read that there are people who have had similar problems with the 3800. But again, what sort of features are you looking for? Is the appearance of the player important? Do you want a $900.00 elephant in your rack that a year from now will, in all likelyhood, seem inferior to the newer players brought to market? How important is wieght and build to you? Can you really get a player and keep it until HD-DVD comes out or are you like me....tempted by every heralded, intriguing new player? Remember that every year these forums come up with a champion that it seems everyone is cheering but they have different circumstaces and needs than you. And they have a different type of awareness i.e. some are truly audio-videophiles and they have a higher level of expectation.

4. HankM

HankM Second Unit

I have an RP-91 also because my Mits 46805 locks into full on 480P ([​IMG]). I'm another one who loves his RP-91 but I noticed that the Denon 1600 uses Faroudja's DCDi de-interlacer. Isn't this the best progressive chip as of right now? Would love to get a DVD player that scales as well as the RP-91 but also has the DCDi chip.[​IMG]

5. inazuma

inazuma Extra

Thanks everyone for your comments. Was helpful and raised some questions on what I really am looking for.

I decided to go with the Panny 82 and got it from J&R for $216 shipped. I'll be using the money I saved to get the SVS 20-39PCi and also a Panamax 5300. Been researching power centers recently and wasn't even going to buy one, but I think I'll get one. Thoughts on this are welcome if you want to share... I know a few people out there don't think "power centers" work, while others do. If I had to decide between the SVS and the Panamax, which should I go for?

My reasons for buying a 82... First is the price. $200 sounds good to me and I can rest easy knowing that I'm getting good PQ for the price. DCDi should be good. I took the Denon 1600 out of the list a long time ago since there's no coax.... something I want to use down the line and also want the option. RP-91 is still hovering around $400. Good, but PQ on the 82 appears to be better. Scaling I don't need since my TV doesn't lock. 3800 was taken out of the list finally because I don't want to spend $1000+ and have to worry about the freezing people are experiencing. Even if they do fix it, I'll stick with an inexpensive player for now and go big later on. Something better will be out anyway. "I can wait."

For now, I just need a good progressive player w/ DVD-A for later use when my receiver gets upgraded. Sure hope to see a difference in PQ between this and my first gen Panny A-310. Loved that thing.

The color of the 82 (silver/chrome) isn't a big deal since my Kenwood 2090 is also silver. Doesn't really matter anyway. The remote control quality shouldn't be an issue either since I have a Pronto.

Anyway, thanks again to everyone. Really appreciate it.