RP82 or NS755V

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by scott cerv, Oct 30, 2002.

1. scott cerv

scott cerv Stunt Coordinator

Anyone compared these two products? I've heard that the chroma bug is not very noticable on the new sony. Which will give best audio (2-multi channel). Was leaning towards the RP82, but was told the 2 channel from it is terrible.
    SC

2. Jimmy Gonzalez

Jimmy Gonzalez Stunt Coordinator

I am in the same boat, Scott.

I just purchased my first 16x9 tv and I got a deal on the Panasonic RP62. I own a Sony DVP-7700 and I love it for watching DVD's on my 4:3 XBR but since it does not have progressive scan I had to get a new one for my new tv.

The picture on the RP62 is stunning but I hate the slim silver cheap look and I was interested in SACD so I went to Fry's and picked up the NS755V.

I used Avia to calibrate my tv and and watched scenes from Lord of the Rings, The Fifth Element, Blade 2 and Jason X.

Both players are GREAT in the picture department but the RP62 had a more solid picture.

When watching Blade 2 on the Sony there was something that looked like scan lines in the red text of the opening credits. It was also visible to a lesser effect on the trees in LotR scene 2.(Shire 60 years later)

I have no idea what the chrome bug is and I am not sure what I am seeing is it or not.

The RP62 did not have this problem at all and it made for a better picture then the Sony.

Now I am wondering if it is better to upgrade to the RP82? Is the build quality better then the RP62? Does the RP82 have a better picture?

-Jimmy-

3. DanC

DanC Stunt Coordinator

Jimmy, from what I've read, the RP82 uses the same MPEG decoder as the highly regarded RP91. I recently purchased the RP62 but decided to return it and get the RP82 after reading all the good things about it. I should get it in a few days, hopefully I'll be able to decide for myself!

4. Jimmy Gonzalez

Jimmy Gonzalez Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the info, DanC.

I just called Fry's and they have 4 RP82's in stock so I am gonna return the Sony and pick it up.

I will compare the RP82 to the RP62 and see if there is a difference. If the RP82 is better I will return the RP62 to Circuit City.

Thanks again, DanC.

Jimmy

5. rick_kaw

rick_kaw Auditioning

I had a Sony DVP-NS755 DVD player, I originally wanted it because of SACD playback capability. But once I had the Sony, I realized that SACD wasn't a big deal to me. Plus, I heard about the chroma bug. Honestly, I never noticed anything wrong with the Sony DVP-NS755 images.

However, I returned it for the Panasonic RP82. I've noticed improved images, but this could be due to the fact that my RPTV is only a month old (RPTV's usually have a break-in period of about one month). So improved imagery could be due to the break-in of the RPTV rather than the Panasonic DVD player. I chose the RP82 over the RP62 mainly because I already had a coaxial cable and didn't want to shell out another $20 for an optical cable.

-Rick K.

6. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

If you don't like the silver look of the RP82, there's always the Panasonic DVD-CP72K (5 disk changer, black, Mpeg decoder from the RP91/RP82, Sage/Faroudja deinterlacing chip).