RP82 discontinued ??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ahmose, Jan 3, 2003.

1. Ahmose

Ahmose Extra

I received this email from B&H photovideo :

2. Phil A

Phil A Producer
    Supporter

Phil
    It is not discontinued as far as I know. I tried to get one for my brother before the holidays (and ended up having to get the Toshiba 4800). I put a deposit down on Nov. 4 to have it ordered. I followed-up and know the sales personnel at one of the local stores where I shop. The sales person finally got in touch with Panasonic. There are something like 10,000 on back order. They have not been able to get them out fast enough. The best guess I got is there will be availability in February. Of course, CES is coming up and I would watch for announcements as well.

3. Chris Shelly

Chris Shelly Second Unit

The day before New Years I sent an e-mail to OneCall asking if they were going to get anymore RP82's. They replied back that they were expecting a shipment at the end of January. I called this morning and tried to put my name on a list and they got word from Panasonic that they would not be getting any further shipments.

With over 10,000 units on back order Panasonic is making a big mistake and upsetting a lot of people.

I suspect other manufactures will incorporate the same video processing as the RP82 in next years models. Hopefully we will find out more from the news at CES.

4. James Zos

James Zos Supporting Actor

I finally gave up looking for an RP82 and ordered a Panasonic XP50, based on the advice of members here. The XP50 has the same decoder and chip of the RP82. I'll make a new review thread once I actually get my hands on the player.

5. Ravi Chopra

Ravi Chopra Auditioning

I wonder if, given the rumors of the 82's demise, the deep discounting of the 91, and talk of new Pannys to come out soon, that Panny will be coming out with a new gen of players with the new Genesis/Sage/Faroudja chip with scaling, aspect control, etc.

Now THAT would be exciting!

BTW, for those who want RP82 quality, but can't find them and don't need coax digital audio out (use Toslink instead), the 72 is a 5-disc player in the same price range with the same technology and quality but much easier to find.

-Ravi