RP82,.anything better under $1000???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin Beck, Sep 19, 2002.

1. Kevin Beck

Kevin Beck Stunt Coordinator

Hey guys,..
    A lot of talk about this player. My old DVD 434,..I know, I know,..junk unit, didn't know it was supose to be a bad unit untill recently, buit the thing has gone bad on me. I purchased a RP82 after much searching the threads here, not wanting to spend a ton of cash. I was originally going to step up the $$$ for a new player, untill I saw all the talk about this machine,..thought what the heck,.if its that good for $200, why spend two or three times that?
    Ok,..I have it. Going to do a little more testing tonight, but right off, I don't know,..I was expecting a big WOW! when I fired this thing up. I have a Mits 65819, and use to run the DVD 434 on interlaced,..it looked much better than their so called progressive. The picture with the RP82 didn't give me the WOW! I had expected. Am I alone on this, or am I expecting that $1000 WOW! out of a $200 wow machine?
    Thanks for any info guys, the forums are the berries for experiencerd info.
    Thanks,...>>>--->

2. Brent Hutto

Brent Hutto Supporting Actor

I don't know how to insert a pointer to it but there's a thread in this forum titled "Panasonic RP62 vs. Sony 715 -- please help!" that has a little more information pertinent to your question.

My conclusion (based on using a direct-view 36XBR800) is that:

1) a good interlaced DVD player and
    2) a properly calibrated (using Avia or similar) TV that's either 16:9 or does the squeeze

gets you 99% of the picture quality available on most DVD's. Buying a progressive-scan player is somewhat overkill unless the deinterlacer in your TV is of poor quality. OTOH, for 200 bucks there's no compelling reason not to go for the overkill.

I think with a decent TV and something like an RP82 any noticable flaws in the picture are either in the original film, in the DVD mastering or in the television (or its calibration). That would imply that spending $1,000 on a DVD player doesn't buy you much in terms of picture quality, although it may be necessary for non-PQ reasons (other features, audio formats, etc.) for some people.

In other words, if you were starting from a good picture, there's not much WOW available from a new DVD player at any price.

3. Kevin Beck

Brent,..
    Thanks for the input,...any others?
    >>>--->

4. ManojM

ManojM Stunt Coordinator

On your 65" Mitsubishi, you will find that hooking up an interlaced player that makes use of the line doubler on the TV will give you a significantly inferior picture as opposed to a good progressive player. Although the RP82 is a very nice player for $200, better picture quality with excellent de-interlacing can be achieved with a little more money. My recommendations would be the Philips 962 for about $500, and the Kenwood Soverign DV-5700 for about $800. These will bring the WOW that you are looking for.

Brent,
    Line doublers in mainstream consumer televisions are not as good as those in separate scalers. The Pioneer Elite series has one of the better line doublers available in a TV today, yet it does not provide the picture quality that a good progressive scan player does. Furthermore, the de-interlacing in a player is done in the digital domain, while line doubling on the television requires another analog-digital-analog conversion further degrading picture quality. Therefore a good quality progressive player will give you a better picture than an interlaced one on your TV.

5. Ron Newsome

Ron Newsome Stunt Coordinator

Brent, how do you have the RP82 connectd to your Mits? You are using the component output and inputs, right? The line doubler in the Mits is known to be crappy, so you should see a noticeable improvement in picture quality when you use the component outputs of the DVD player, and set it for progressive output.

6. Brent Hutto

Brent Hutto Supporting Actor

Actually, it is Kevin Beck who has the Mitsubishi RPTV. My TV is a Sony 36XBR800 direct-view. At least at the level I can detect on a 36" 4:3 picture, this generation of Sony upconversion works very well. I have to look hard to see the improvement from the RP82. I do like the color decoder in the RP82 better than my old RV31, though.

7. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

For $1000, one could probably build an HTPC which would have excellent features. But it is not for everybody. If you're into computers, do some research on the subject and see if it appeals to you.
    Just my 2 cents....

8. Kevin Beck

Ron,..
    I run the componant inputs straight to the set. All is set to enable progressive output. Side note, and this I'm sure is due to the less than top notch player I had before,..I was getting much better picture, and color display,when using the interlaced settings on the Pioneer 434, than with the progressive settings. Now with the Panasonic RP82 set to progressive, I get I would say a little smoother, not much, but a little smoother picture than the interlaced on the 434. However, The color wash effect is still a little evident.
    Not sure what a higher end unit as the Dennon 2800 II, or somthing on par with it would produce. I have a thread looking for info on that player as well,...Haven't seen much talk about players in that price range. Mostly, $200.00 or $3000.00
    Thanks for any info,...
    >>>--->

9. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Kevin, for under $1000, check out the Denon DVD-1600, Panasonic DVD-RP91, and Kenwood Sovereign DV-5700. All are progressive-scan DVD-Audio players, and none of them show the chroma bug. Go to www.crutchfield.com for more information on these three players.
    The Denon '1600 typically sells for $500 at brick-and-mortar stores and through crutchfield.com , but www.6ave.com , and authorized Denon dealer, sells it for less. You will have to call them for the latest price (get the number off the web site). The '1600 has garnered high praise here and on other web sites on both the audio and video side. The drawback of the '1600, in my opinion, is that it was designed after the budget Panasonic 'RP56 (discontinued), and as such, is lacking in some areas for a $500 player. For example, I don't feel the '1600 quite offers the build quality that belies the $500 price tag. Furthermore, like the 'RP56, the '1600 has no coaxial digital output. I feel a $500 player should have one. Still, these issues do not necessarily adversely affect performance. As I said, the '1600 has been revered here and on other web sites.
    The Panasonic 'RP91 has been around for awhile, so you may be aware that it too is very well regarded. Brick-and-mortar stores and crutchfield.com originally sold it for $700, but you should be able to find it for around $500 or less through J&R Music World (1-800-221-8180) or OneCall (1-800-340-4770). Both are authorized dealers.
    The Kenwood Sovereign '5700 is a carousel changer that has not gotten as much talk here as the '1600 and 'RP91. Perhaps that is because of the price and/or the fact that it is a changer (some folks prefer single-disc players). While the '5700 originally retailed for $1200, it is not available through crutchfield.com and brick-and-mortar dealers for $800. Note that Kenwood generally does not authorize dealers to sell Sovereign products by mail. Crutchfield is the only authorized mail-order dealer I know of. In any event, the '5700 offers a lot -- good picture, good sound, and a changer.
    It could be that these three players would outperform the 'RP82 overall. Usually, the more you spend, the better the component you get. I am quite sure the '1600, 'RP91, and '5700 would beat the 'RP82 in the audio department, but I'm not so sure about video. Many budget players offer excellent video output these days.