What's new

RP62 Alternatives (1 Viewer)

Amonroe

Auditioning
I live out in the "sticks". Not many single DVD players available for first hand viewing, but locally I have found a "new" Panasonic RP62 that impresses me. I've reviewed the numerous posts re: quality problems and others that praised the video performance. Build quality issues aside (I sense that there are units that have not fallen to what seems to be a fairly common fault), if PQ is the prime concern, what current models would equal the RP62 within, say the sub $300USD price range? I'm mighty tempted to take the chance with the Pan given the PQ (and audio quality, for that matter). I've heard that the Phillips DVDQ50AT is a very good unit.

On a separate query, I have given thought to a DVD recorder, but I gather that PQ of moderate priced recorders is below that of low to mid priced DVD players. If this so? What of the commercial DVD playback PQ of the Sony RDR-GX7? I have an opportunity to have a local shop bring this in for viewing, no purchase conditions attached.

MattWel

Stunt Coordinator
the RP62s that have an "A" in the serial number are said to have the superior Faroudja de-interlacer. The ones with a "B" in the serial number are said to have the cheaper, worse performing one. I have no idea if there are any exceptions to this but I would make sure that the RP62 has an "A" in the serial number.

Amonroe

Auditioning
Yeah, I read posts about this. Checking the serial number, it has neither an "A" or "B", but rather a "K". Manufacture date of September 2002. I intend upon passing this by Panasonic to see if they have an idea of the status.

MattWel

Stunt Coordinator
Mine begins with a K and the letter A is the fifth letter/number in the serial number. What is the fifth letter/number in that one?

MattWel

Stunt Coordinator
I would not recommend buying it. I would say the chances that it has Faroudja are not good at all.

Amonroe

Auditioning
Thanks for the advice. I'll continue my search; perhaps a trip to the "big city" is in order.

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
Yeah avoid that "B" model - its no better than the cheaper newer Panasonics. All of the DVD recorders have poorer quality playback, the only one with a good Faroudja de-interlacer is the Philips DVDR80 model.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks