RP56 or XV-S60 for non-progressive playback??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Wayne Hollis, Nov 20, 2001.

1. Wayne Hollis

Wayne Hollis Auditioning

My sister has given me the task of picking out a new DVD player for her. I've narrowed it down to the Panasonic DVD-RP56 and the JVC XV-S60 after reading through several threads on this forum, as well as AVS. It seems that most of the comparisons between the 2 focuses mainly on progressive playback. I'm wanting to know which will perform better for standard, I guess interlaced, playback? She may eventually upgrade her existing set to something that will accept a progressive signal, that's why I'm looking for something that supports it. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Wayne

2. Martin Rendall

Martin Rendall Screenwriter

For non progressive playback, avoid the JVC. It builds the interlaced signal from the progressive signal - which is the reverse of all the other players. The result is that (theoretically) all the artifacts and/or problems inherit with it's progressive playback can appear on the interlaced signal. Not optimal.

For progressive playback, the JVC seems more popular. So do you want to buy a unit for what your sister's got, or what she may get?

ALL IMHO.

Martin.

3. Wayne Hollis

Wayne Hollis Auditioning

So, based off of the primary need to display non-progressive output, the RP56 seems to be the best bet? That's what I thought because I heard it incorporated DCDi. Is there another unit that may perform better than the RP56 for non-progressive output for around the same price, or is this about as good as it gets? Thanks for your help.

Wayne

4. Wayne Gallupe

Wayne Gallupe Auditioning

The JVC XV-S60BK provides an outstanding picture on my 55" non-progressive RPTV. Much better than the Sony DVP-S530D it replaced. Sharper image, blacker blacks and brilliant colors are the most notable improvements. The Sony does do better with in-player letterboxing however. This of course, only matters with a 4:3 aspect ratio. As far as the picture being derived from the progressive settings, I see absolutely no artifacts or any other abnormality in interlaced mode, so who cares how it's done?

Frankly, you won't go wrong with either player.

5. PaulKH

PaulKH Second Unit

No so fast...

I've seen write-ups and observed the fact that the RP56 interlaced output is WORSE than other players. I felt my old Toshiba 2109 has better interlaced output than the RP56. The progressive output of the RP56 is stunningly crisp, although I don't like its color balance (quite different than even its own interlaced output!).

I'm going to go pick up a JVC75 this week to compare with my Toshiba 4700 for progressive output and just ergonomics.

Speaking of the 4700, I think it's interlaced output is excellent, plus you get progressive and DVD-A for futureproofing.

I'm just torn between the 4700, the JVC, and potentially a Panasonic RP91.

6. Martin Rendall

Martin Rendall Screenwriter

Hmmm. If the RP56 can't compete with the JVC in interlaced mode I'd see that as a condemnation of the the Panasonic, as opposed to a praise of the JVC... Have you looked into the new Toshiba's? Does your sister have a digital receiver?

7. Wayne Hollis

Wayne Hollis Auditioning

No, she doesn't have a DD receiver yet, though I think my parents are getting her one for Christmas. I thought the RP56 was supposed to have a great non-progressive picture because of DCDi, but it seems that a lot of people don't agree. Does that mean that DCDi is not all it's cracked up to be, or does the RP56 have a poor implementation of it? It sounds that more and more people are praising the XV-S60 for being a good all around player. I considered the Sony NS700P, but once I saw how soft the picture looked I ruled it out. I haven't given much thought to a Toshiba. Can someone suggest one worth taking a look at.

8. PaulKH

PaulKH Second Unit

A Toshiba 3750 is great bang ($

9. Brian O

Brian O Second Unit

Here are some good prices for Toshiba:

Toshiba SD-K700 at Costco(same as 3750, just rebadged) is $180, if I remember right.

Toshiba 4700 at Onecall.comm is $225.

I have had a Toshiba for close to 3 years and really like it on my JVC 35" 4:3 TV.

Toshibas have a sharp picture, but their downconversion has a few negatives depending on your eyes. Not so sure of the latest Toshiba models downconversion though.

10. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

The main thing about the JVC deriving it's interlaced output from the progressive is that the 3/2 pulldown setting has an effect on the interlaced picture, which is not the case with other progressive scan players, so if it's set wrong, you will see combing.
    This is no big deal, just set it to "smart" in the setup menu and you'll have no problem.
    I had my JVC connected to a 53" analog set, and it's picture was at least as good as my old Panasonic A-320, a very highly regarded interlaced player.
    The downconversion of the JVC was also better than the Panny's. Tosh players (I've owned 3) in the past have had very sharp, but somewhat jaggy and shimmery downconversion, don't know if the new models are any better. Least artifacty have been Sony, but at the expense of having a slightly soft picture.
    The Panasonic was sort of a midpoint between Sony and Tosh, but the JVC is just as sharp as a Tosh, but almost as smooth as the Sony, sorta halfway between a Panny and a Sony.

11. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

I have the JVC player. The progressive is beautiful and beats all other players mentioned except the rp91 b/c I never tested it. The interlaced sucks. Sucks. I have a 55809 so it might suck cause the line doubler sucks. I hope this piece of experience means something to you. Go to Sears and compare the rp56, sony700, and a jvc 62 (it's the same as the 60 and 65).