RP: What Should I Avoid?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Kevin Webb, Jul 17, 2004.

1. Kevin Webb

Kevin Webb Agent

Rather than ask what I should get, I am taking a different tack and asking if there are any Rear Projection TV's I should stay away from?

I am moving into a new condo in a few weeks and I want to pick out my new television and have it ready to go when I move in. I am looking at between a 50-57" model.

So far, what I have seen out there I have been pretty impressed with. Specifically the Sony 51", Panasonic 53WX54 and the Mits 55613. Every day it seems that I keep changing my mind on what to get.

I know there was a Sony model that had some serious issues but is there anything else I should avoid like the plague [​IMG]

Thanks,
    Kevin

2. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Kevin,

Sony had a flicker problem on HW-40 and WS-500 models from about December of 01 to about a year ago. Current models are fine.

Of the 3 sets you've listed I don't think you'd go wrong with any of them. I'd avoid unusually cheap-for-the-size models like the $1199 55" Magnavox at CC but in the 51-57" size range just about anything from Sony, Toshiba, Mitsubishi, Hitachi, or Panasonic should be just fine.

3. RobertC

RobertC Agent

Kevin
    I second Hitachi.They are number one right now.
    Hope this help.

Regards
    RobertC

4. StephenHa

StephenHa Second Unit

hitachi makes a great set as does mitsubishi or panasonic