RP LCD and screen door effect. whats the best?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by brandon_, Jan 26, 2006.

1. brandon_

brandon_ Agent

Looking at a few TVs: the JVC hd52g886 and the 56" model, and the Sony kdf-55a20 or the 50" version of that. The room I am building is an 11x22 foot room. Only part of it is going to be for HT (about 11x15) the rest is for game table and keg-o-rator...mmm beeeerrr. My question is: are these TVs going to be too big for the viewing distance (about 8 feet)? My concern is that ill see some screen door effects at this range. Also, what TV will do best to hide this? What one offers the best regular television PQ?

2. John S

John S Producer

The Sony's, you have to get your nose right on them to detect SDE in the most modern offerings.

3. brandon_

brandon_ Agent

would the sony be better than the JVC for the price? How close is the PQ between the two? I think the one thing keeping me from the sony is the lack of PIP. So, if PQ is close to the same, no worries on the JVC.

4. John S

John S Producer

I only have experience with the Sonys and the Panasonics. I'd probably rather have the Panasonic 60" for $2000 than the Sony at it's price point for sure though.

But on SDE in particular the Sony is much much better than the Panny.

5. James Edward

James Edward Supporting Actor

My stepfather just got a Sony 50A10 to use in a 10x10 room. SDE is not visible and he is closer than 8 feet. I think these sets are great for the money...

I wish Sony had kept the styling the same(speakers on the bottom) for the 55" and 60" models as in the 50". The speakers on the sides in the bigger sets make them look awkward.

6. brandon_

brandon_ Agent

I was at best buy today looking at the models again. It looked like the JVC might be a little dark around the edges of the screen compared to the Sony kdfe55a20. anyone notice this?