RP-91k Where are the Facts?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DEAN DE FURIA, Oct 12, 2001.

1. DEAN DE FURIA

DEAN DE FURIA Stunt Coordinator

I'm trying to get the most out of my 91k. I know that someone here or at AVS posted a long "facts" and tweaks but I never printed it. Now I can't find it. Anyone know? By the way, anyone else see alaising with their unit? I see it on the superbit Fifth Element on the Diva's head "thingies" that are hanging down. I also saw it on Air Force One.

2. Michael Lee

Michael Lee Supporting Actor

3. Tom Morgan

Tom Morgan Stunt Coordinator

4. DEAN DE FURIA

DEAN DE FURIA Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Guys! That was it.

5. KennyWayne

KennyWayne Extra

Thanks guys for all the info on the rp91. I have been doing research on it for several weeks now. I wanted to get the sony 860 or the 870 mega dvd changer but changed my mind after learning there was no progressive scan. Right now I'm using a Technics SA_DA10 reciever. I got it because I'm interested in hearing DVD-A. This site is a big help for us up and coming home theater guys. I am thinking of getting a projector instead of a new wide screen tv. Any suggestions I am not willing to go over 3,000.00.................

6. Luke_Y

Luke_Y Second Unit

7. KennyWayne

KennyWayne Extra

Hey guys I wrote Panasonic about some of the pit falls of the Rp-91. They told me to call the hotline for assistance.
    Dear Panasonic Customer,
    Thank you for your inquiry. Based on your information, we suggest contacting us directly for assistance over the phone. Please contact the Panasonic Customer Call Center at (800) 211-7262. Any representative will be available to assist you Monday through Friday from 9:00 AM to 9:00 PM, and Weekends 9:00 AM to 7:00 PM Eastern Standard Time.Standard Time.
    Should it be necessary to send a reply to ensure our prompt response, please mailto:[email protected] Please note when responding include this message.
    Sincerely,
    Representative 16
    Panasonic Customer Call Center
    To: Panasonic Consumer Products
    Subject: Wondering about the Dvd-rp91n
    please tell me if you have fixed the problems listed below.
    This started out to verify what "seanbryan" had posted in this forum, concerning the RP91's tendency to shift normal 4:3 images to the right on the screen. I confirmed this, in progressive mode the right black bar is 1 L" thicker than the left bar. In interlaced mode the left gray bar is a ?" thicker than the right, I suppose my Panny has done this all along, I don't watch much in 4:3 mode.Now for the interesting part with the Avia disc in the player I went to the 200 TVL resolution test. These are vertical and horizontal tapered cylindrical areas with alternating black and white lines in them. At their edges are numbers graduated by 25's denoting the resolution at that point. Also are 4 circles with black lines generated at a specific frequency in them. The lowest frequency circle is 4.0 mHz and the highest is 6.75mHz. I think 6.75 mHz has something to do with the transmission frequency of Pb and Pr component signals.In shrink mode where the normal 4:3 image is displayed the horizontal pattern is showing all the lines down to 475. The vertical pattern has black lines seen clearly to 400 and then the black lines start veering off left and right in a moir鼯FONT> pattern effect from 400 to 525 lines. The 6.75mHz circle shows 32 black vertical lines in it.Going to normal mode stretches the image to fill the screen and the test pattern, although all circles are elliptical and resolution patterns are stretched horizontally, still has the same resolution as shrink mode.Where it gets interesting is when I went to ZOOM mode. Now the RP91 leaves horizontal information intact but scales the vertical component of the image till we have full screen again and circles are circular in shape. The moir鼯FONT> pattern in the vertical resolution areas disappears and black lines can be seen clearly all the way down to 525. The horizontal areas don't change and lines are visible up to the 475 point. But the 6.75mHz circle now shows 64 black vertical lines in it. I don't know what's going on with the 6.75 mHz.But I suspect this test pattern would confirm the observations that when non-anamorphic DVD's are scaled with the RP91, there is little or no loss of resolution.Since I had my AVIA and VE test discs out I decided to do some de-interlace checks. Basically with my source material of VE, Star Trek: Insurrection, Gladiator, NAXOS: Christmas goes Baroque and NAXOS: Vivaldi, I checked the Digital Picture mode settings of N,S,F,C and Transfer modes of AUTO1, AUTO2, AUTO3 and Video and the RP91 in interlace mode to allow my Panasonic HD 56"RPTV to do the 3:2 pulldown.First up Title15-Chapter3 Snell & Wilcox Zone Plate where Picture mode settings of N,S,F,C and Transfer modes of AUTO1, AUTO2, AUTO3 didn't look that much different from one another, except for Video which displayed all sorts of artifacts and noise. Switching to interlaced mode the Panny showed a little more artifact in the moving zone plate and a little more noise in the Vertical and Horizontal-diagonal frequency response checks.Then I viewed three scenes from Title 19, the Montage of Images. The Icicles, the American flag and the pan of stadium seats. Picture mode settings of N,F,C and Transfer modes of AUTO1, AUTO2, and AUTO3 played the scenes about the same. Venetian blind effect was visible in the Icicles and the American flag and the stadium pan seemed to judder a little. "S"oft mode seemed to attenuate these effects a little but I don't like the softer picture. My Panny exhibited a few more artifacts than the RP91.Next was Star Trek: Insurrection. The red title of the movie was ALIVE! with my former(2 wks.) Toshiba SD-5109. Not so with the RP91, I guess no chroma bug here.
    I watched three segments of the opening scene. The hay bales, followed by the pan on the water bridge and lastly the pan across the three large dome structures. Of the 4 digital picture modes the S setting produced the best results. The Auto’s didn't seem to be that different except for Video which artifacted all over the place. My Panny did as well as the RP91 except for the water bridge pan where Venetian blind effect was more noticeable.Next was Gladiator. This is the scene where the camera zooms into the Coliseum streets as Commodus rides towards the Senate. Again S seemed to be marginally better as the camera pans across the eagle and the ledges just below it. The street scene seemed okay with little artifacting. My Panny held its ground here except where the camera is in the clouds and there is a concrete runway looking structure off to the right, the Panny produced noticeable artifacts on this.Next to last was the NAXOS Christmas DVD-V audio disc. Chapter 3 contains a close-up of a violin sloped at 20° to the horizontal. The camera then does a slowww pan down to the bridge. This is the disc I usually show to people that want to see what de-interlacing artifacts look like, it is so readily apparent. No combination of modes could hide the venetian blind effect in the strings. Again, S seemed to do the best job and my Panny held its ground here. If you want to show your friends what de-interlacing artifacts look like, play this disc and put it on video Transfer mode. Yecch!Lastly the NAXOS Vivaldi Four seasons disc. This was the RP91 and my Panny killer. Not even my Tosh or older Panasonic A320 would do this scene right. In the Spring section, selection 2-"Largo e pianissimo sempre" there is a scene just before the sleeping shepard. There is a group of sheep, off in the distance standing under a huge oak and with two large shrubs in the left and right of the foreground. Just above the sheep a large cluster of branches sways in the wind. With my Panny TV the branch movement looked like stop motion photography, the judder was very noticeable. With the RP91 "S" mode didn't help here, but it did do a little better job than the Panny RPTV. Even with the RP91 you detect the judder as if some fields are skipped out of order during playback.So IMHO you would not purchase this player if your sole concern is de-interlacing or if you have a 4:3 RPTV. Myself when I am not critically looking for artifacts as I did for this mini-review, the de-interlacing performance of this player doesn't seem to bother me.Instead the resolution of non-anamorphic scaled to anamorphic size and the PQ of anamorphic DVD's seem to be its key features.

8. Joe Fran

Joe Fran Auditioning

"So IMHO you would not purchase this player if your sole concern is de-interlacing or if you have a 4:3 RPTV."
    I have a Toshiba TN55X81 which is a 4:3 TV. What are the top progressive DVD players, that would yield the best picture?
    Thanks