Rp 91?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Barry V, Jan 9, 2002.

1. Barry V

Barry V Extra

Local dealer still has them in stock. Need to replace tos 5109. Buy or wait? and does 91 play dvd-a?

2. Gary Thomas

Gary Thomas Second Unit

I thinks it's a great unit. I've had probably 6 dvd players over the past few years...Sony, Toshiba, Pioneer...the Panasonic is the best. It is a bit confusing to set up, so take your time & read the instruction manual.

I posted a little review in the hardware section if your interested.

3. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

I am going thru the same thing right now..Looking to replace my 5109 with the RP91.....

For anyone who might know, does the RP91 use the sage Faroudja chip...In one place I read that it did...In the DVD shoot out it says the RP91 does not....

4. Brajesh Upadhyay

Brajesh Upadhyay Supporting Actor

Mike, the RP91 uses the Genesis chip, but it's a very good implementation of it. If you want Sage, the RP56 has it (but no DVD-A or auto-scaling features).

5. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

Thanks Brajesh.....

6. Barry V

Barry V Extra

I have been through an Elite 37, great picture, great audio but no dvd-a, and a Elite c-36, progressive scan nice look but no dvd-a. My problem is the Elite 47 is supposed to be out next month. Progressive and dvd-a and sacd all in one. The only problem $1200 list which will still put it over the $1000 mark. That is why the 91 looks good.

7. Gary_E

Gary_E Second Unit

Mike, Barry,

I just replaced my TOSHIBA 5109 with the PANASONIC RP-91.

My monitor is the TOSHIBA 40H80. The picture has improved all the way around. Colors seem brighter and crisper and it's ability to scale non anamorphic DVDs makes the RP-91 a nice step up from the 5109.

The biggest difference I've noticed is in the audio. The RP-91 sounds better especially in the LFE channel. Bass is tighter and cleaner now after recalibration with Video Essentials.

A local dealer here had two come into stock and both my friend and I bought them. Paid $453.00 for each. It's a nice player.

-Gary

8. Brad HP

Brad HP Agent

Hello all,

I had a question regarding what you mean by the ability to "scale non-animorphic films" on the RP91. Does that mean that you can view a non-animorphic (say 1:85 aspect ratio) on a widescreen TV at essentially full size? I realizes that a widescreen 16x9 TV is only 1:78, that's why I said essentially. Since this sounds like a "zoom" type feature, is there any loss in resolution or picture quality? Also, are there any other comparable progressive scan DVD players that offer this feature at a comparable price. I have a lot of older titles that are non-animorphic and it sounds like this player would be a great upgrade to reduce the amount of partial screen viewing that I do, reducing the uneven burn-in rate on my set. Thanks for your help.

9. Jeff D.

Jeff D. Supporting Actor

Brad:

Normally, when you watch a non-anamorphic DVD on a widescreen set, the TV must be set to some sort of 'Zoom' mode to display the image in its proper proportions. The result of this zoom is lower resolution, since scan lines are lost.

With the RP-91, you can leave your widescreen TV in its 'Full' mode and let the machine scale the non-anamorphic image to properly fit the 16:9 screen. Not quite as good as anamorphic, but certainly better than the standard 'Zoom' on most widescreen sets. Incidentally, this is also a distinct advantage for owners of widescreen sets that 'lock on Full' when fed a progressive source.

/Jeff

10. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Barry, yes, the RP91 will play/output DVD-Audio.

11. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

I replaced a Toshiba 5109 with an RP91 when it first came out. A definite upgrade and it added DVD-Audio to my HT.

About the only thing I miss (not major) from the 5109 days is the dual disc tray.

12. Brad HP

Brad HP Agent

Jeff,

Thanks for the info. I had a chance to see the RP 91 in action this weekend. I tried out the Deer Hunter disc which is 2.35:1 non-animorphic and it looked great (relatively speaking for this disc) using the zoom, which nearly filled the screen in its OAR, without losing any resolution. It was very impressive. I have been watching all of my non-animorphic discs using progressive scan on my Toshiba 6200, which has been stretching everything on my WS set. One question; it looks like the RP 91 has been available for a while, are there are other Panasonic units (or anyone else for that matter) that have this scaling ability in progressive scan that are available or soon to be available, that I should hold out for?

Thanks.