1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Rp-91

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Javi, Aug 12, 2003.

1. Javi

Javi Extra

Is this player worth buying new for $200! It would replace my old Sony 7000 player. Let me just say their is nothing wrong with my player, just looking to upgrade!

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

This player is one of the models most discussed on the HTF. Do a search in this forum for threads whose titles contain the word "RP-91", and you'll find several dozen.

M.

3. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

The answer depends on what type of TV/monitor you own and what type of material you watch. The RP-91's most desirable feature is its built-in scaler and aspect ratio control. This feature is only really useful for 16x9 TV owners, and is most useful when watching non-anamorphic widescreen DVD's (although I personally also like the feature for viewing full frame material, too).

If you own a 4x3 set or have little or no older non-anamorphic widescreen discs, then it probably will not offer much improvement over your current player.

4. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Ditto with Scott's comments (I own an RP91 and a 16:9 HDTV which locks on FULL when fed a progressive signal). If you fit those criteria then go for it! (oh it's also a kick ass DVD-audio player)