RP-91 : help needed

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Sanjiva, Jul 19, 2003.

1. Sanjiva

Sanjiva Agent

Just got an open box RP-91. I have it connected through co-ax to my Yammy RXV-1200. The CDs play perfectly but with DVDs, there is sound skipping. The video is perfect but the sound keeps skippping once in a while. Any idea if there is some setting problem or it is a defect.

In addition, when I got to the rp-91 menu and run the test on speakers in multichannel mode, no sound is output from any of the speakers. Do I have to connect 5.1 RCA cables to the receiver for that.

thanks,

2. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Before, I returned it, I'd try the optical output to see if it works. The 5.1 test signal is for the analog 5.1 outputs for DVD-A use. Good luck!

3. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

Yes you would need to connect 6 cables to the Yamaha to get Multi-Channel sound for DVDA's.

The skipping sounds like a defect. If you have an optical cable around try that instead of the co-ax and see if it still skips during dvd's.

4. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Doesn't this unit have two separate lasers? One for CD and the other for DVD playback?

Sounds like a laser alignment problem to me.

Parker

5. Sanjiva

Sanjiva Agent

thanks guys,

i think there was some problem with the unit itself. i got a new one and this works fine.

unfortunately, i do not see any improvement in the sound quality of CDs played vis-a-vis my old Toshiba 4700. may be, i should try a denon 1600 or something for that as my primary motive for getting a new dvd player was improvement in audio while playing CDs.

what do you guys suggest? i went for rp-91 as i got it for a very decent price.

6. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Sanjiva:

How about the new Denon 2900. It will do both DVD A and SACD. Lot's of positive reviews on the audio playback.

Parker

7. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Or the Philips 963sa, [​IMG] if you prefer to stay closer to the price of the RP91 and Denon 1600. The Philips gets rave reviews from lots of people for its CD upsampled playback, but does SACD, not DVD-A though. The video side is quite good as well although the player does have its share of quirks.

_Man_