RP-91 DVD-Audio bass management

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Chuck Watwood, Jun 15, 2003.

1. Chuck Watwood

Chuck Watwood Stunt Coordinator

I just purchased a Panasonic RP-91 player and it will arrive on Thursday. I haven't delved into DVD audio yet but am looking forward to the test drive. I have read that other players have bass management problems with DvdA and SACD. Are there any issues here with the rp-91? I will run a digital coax from the player into my Onkyo txsr800. This should give me 6Ch playback, right? I have my bass on the txsr800 set to crossover at 80hz. All speakers are set to small. I have an SVS 20-39PC+ sub. Any advice on setup/problems is appreciated.

My system:

Onkyo TXSR-800 reciever.
    3 200watt Outlaw monoblocks which power my center and fronts.
    The rear and side surrounds are power by the Onkyo.
    SVS 20-39 PC+ sub
    Polk Rs100's in the front
    Polk FX center channel.
    Polk FX side surrounds. Dipole.
    Polk R30 rear surrounds.
    Panasonic 65" 16:9 HDTV.

2. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

Running coax into a receiver will give you Dolby Digital and DTS but not 6 channel DVDA sound.

You'll need to run 6 analog cables from the Panny output to the Onkyo 6 channel input to get Multi-Channel DVD Audio sound.

I use the Outlaw Audio ICBM between my Panny and my Denon receiver to acheive full Bass Management.

3. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

Your digital coax cable will handle all of the audio for DVD-Videos and CDs, but you will need 6 analog cables from the multi-channel output on the RP-91 to the multi-channel input on your Onkyo to get DVD-Audio playback.

There are speaker settings in the RP-91's menu, but they are for DVD-V, not DVD-A.

Enjoy the player. It's a great machine. There's an RP-91 FAQ floating around which you can find if you do a search. It goes into great detail and will be a big help in setting up the many picture adjustments that are available on the unit.

There are many RP-91 owners here, as well, so there's lots of help if you have questions.

Good luck,

DJ

4. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

The bass management settings on the RP-91 only apply to using its built-in Dolby Digital and DTS decoders, not to its DVD-Audio decoder. The channel level settings, though, do affect all audio signals (including DVD-A) using the 6-channel analog outputs. So, at least you can level-match all of your speakers for DVD-Audio playback.

As others have stated, you must use the six channel analog outputs of the RP-91 to listen to high resolution DVD-Audio. The coaxial and optical digital outputs will only transport DD, DTS and PCM audio. You can thank the paranoid music industry for that.

5. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

The RP-91 is a great player, but there is ABSOLUTELY NO Bass management, you need either an ICBM or full range speakers, otherwise be prepared to be underwhelmed by DVD-A

personally I would rather listen to the DD or DTS tracks than the DVD-A without BM

6. Laurence_C

Laurence_C Stunt Coordinator

Laurence
  7. Chuck Watwood

Chuck Watwood Stunt Coordinator

Laurence/David,

Thanks for the FAQ link and information. My RP91 arrived Thursday as did my ICBM. I got it put together Friday morning. Besides taking a while to figure out, I'm thrilled with the DVD audio. It took a while to figure out how to get the 6ch to work, didn't have it selected on my Onkyo. Only got 2ch stereo the first try. I also found the the Panny manual is not user friendly. Got it solved now though. I also tried a couple of non-anamorphics discs and easily scaled them. I also played with the other controls and was able to sharpen up the picture quite a bit with one of the movies. I have one question about the speaker selections menu. I tried the speaker test with the Panny and the subwoofer didn't play the test tone? I had the sub symbol selected so I thought the test tone should have played? The fronts and the surrounds were selected as large, the center channel didn't appear to have a large selection in its menu? The DVDaudios I played sounded fine with plenty of bass. BB King and Eric Clapton, Eagles, Hell Freezes Over, and Diana Krall, Love Scenes. I also wonder how the crossover in the Onkyo affects the base management from the ICBM. Does the Onkyo tx-sr800 base manage 6ch? I have the crossover set at 80hz. Any comments are appreciated. Thanks again.