What's new

rp-91, denon 1600, denon 2900...which to buy? (1 Viewer)

TommyL

Supporting Actor
Hi all...I am an avid movie watcher, and want good quality music also...which player would best suit this? I use a rp-56 panny now...so I'd have to feel the upgrade is worth it...the denon 2900 is obviously more, and its so new, we haven't seen a pro review yet...so even disregarding that one, which of these would be best(rp-91 at 290 bucks, or denon 1600 at 360 bucks?) thanks! tom...ps I use a Marantz 8200 reciever, paradigm studio 40's / 20's / CC, and a B4+ svs sub fyi...thanks!

TommyL

Supporting Actor
Also, for dvd-a, which cables to I need and any suggestions on a brand would be great....and hopefully the marantz 8200 has the inputs for sucha thing:) (didn't check into it yet:)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Tommy, one thing to note is that the Denon '2900, though more expensive, throws SACD into the mix, which should not be overlooked. The 'RP91 and '1600 only do DVD-Audio. I have limited experience with 'RP91, but I have gotten hints around here that it may be a bit dated in terms of video quality. That said, $290 is a great price, assuming we are talking about a new unit in a sealed box.

The '1600 offers video quality at least as good as the 'RP91, plus the '1600 is a better audio component. I would expect the '2900 to be the best of the three in terms of video and audio capability, but as you said, we have yet to see a professional review of this unit.

If I were you, I would wait for some more reviews of the '2900 to come in. Based on reviews I've read on web sites such as this one, it looks like feelings are mixed. Some folks have received defective units (skipping with DVD-Audio discs). Those who have received working units seem to like it.

As for cables, you have to use RCA (analog) cables for DVD-Audio and SACD. The three players you are looking have 5.1-channel outputs, which consist of six RCA jacks for the front left, front right, center, subwoofer, rear left, and rear right channels. In the case of the '2900, you would use the 5.1-channel outputs for playback of both DVD-Audio and SACD. Your Marantz '8200 has 5.1-channel inputs. So, you would run six RCA cables between the player and Marantz receiver.

As for which cables you should get, it depends on how much you want to spend. If you are on a budget, the Radio Shack Gold Series are good for the money. My only complaint is that I have found the connectors to be a bit inconsistent in size. Some cables slide right on, while other are very difficult to connect. The issue with tight cables is exacerbated by the fact that the connectors have sharp dimples, which can dig into your fingers. As a result of this, I stopped buying Radio Shack cables. It's been awhile since I've used them, so maybe they have improved their QC.

Audioquest makes very good cables at all price points. BetterCables (www.bettercables.com) and Cat Cables (www.catcables.com) are both well-regarded brands here.

Till

Auditioning
Tommy,

I use a bundled set of Ixos cables for the MCH connection between a 47a and a 49TXi. Very good cables and very practical. I enjoy expensive stuff (I mean like 2000$ speaker cables and such) but you got to keep things in perspective for a mid-level MCH installation. In my eyes these would be nice for your proposed components. Plugs are all gold plated and super tight. You can buy them at ac4l.com. Otherwise usedcables.com is the used/demo/overstock outlet of the cablecompany. Their customer service is simply excellent and so are the prices. I got an MIT AVT3 cable that was so new it wasn't even listed on the MIT site for 40% off.

Regarding your players, there is supposed to be a new Marantz 8300 or 8400, not sure, which is universal and is supposed to have DVI output. It lists for c. 2400 Euros. American price should be similar or less.

Till

Craig W

Second Unit
TommyL,

The Denon 1600 uses a better MPEG chip than your current RP56 plus it uses the highly regarded Faroudja chipset for deinterlacing for progressive scan. The RP91 has the same MPEG chip as the 1600, but it uses an inferior deinterlacer chip. Although the deinterlacer chip in RP91 allows scaling and the Faroudja does not.

If you want to upgrade just for progressive scan then go for the Denon 1600, but if you are also concerned about hirez audio then Denon 2900 may be better. Sorry but I don't know much about that unit other than it uses Si504 deinterlacer chip which is also supposed to be on of the better options on the market.

SvenS

Second Unit
Another consideration is the fect that the RP91 can scale non-anamorphic dvd's better then any other out there under $1000, so if you have a HDTV that locks in full mode when fed a progressive scan signal or want a better picture compared to the zoom modes on HDTV's then the RP91 is a huge plus!

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Tommy,

You did not mention what type of television you will be using with the DVD player. As Sven mentioned, the RP-91 has a built-in scaling function that is a wonderful feature if you own a 16x9 HD-ready TV. If this is not the case, the Denon 2900 would probably be the better player (at a higher cost, though). You would get improved progressive scan video capabilities, and both DVD-Audio and SACD high resolution audio support.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Tommy,
First, nice receiver, I almost bought the 8200 until they offered me th 9200 for a killer price. And I am in the same boat as you right now. I want a new dvd player with superior video processing. My main use would be for movie viewing, getting sacd and dvd-audio all in one pakage would definately be a bonus though. I am very interested to hear more reviews on the 2900. If that one does not pass for video I am going with the Yamaha S-2300. I have read that unit delivers very good video processing and has the Faroudja chipset. The 2300 also does sacd and dvd-audio.

TommyL

Supporting Actor
thanks Guys...always know I can get a bit of help here:) FYI..I use a mitsu 55" widescreen hdtv myself...knowing that, what route would you consider and which we be totally out of the question? thanks guys! tom

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
Ive got my DVD-1600 up for sale if youre interested:D
I have decided to upgrade to the 2900.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Tommy,

Is your Mits TV one of those models that locks into full viewing mode when presented a progressive scan video signal? If so, the RP-91, with its built-in aspect ratio control and scaling would be a good choice.

TommyL

Supporting Actor
thanks for the input..of course I am looking for great audio output as well...I don't play any sacd yet...man.....any other thoughts? thanks! tom

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks