What's new

Rp-82? (1 Viewer)

Matt Odegard

Stunt Coordinator
Well I've had mine for 6 months and no problems. I guess you got a bad unit. Do you have a warranty? Did you buy online or local B&M?

Matt Odegard

Stunt Coordinator
I think people forget that even the best DVD players sometime break down and have bad units. Obviously their is NO DVD player that lasts forever and every on of its kind that is made lasts forever.

Why do you people expect the world out of a $200 DVD player? Its got great pq plain and simple. Do you expect it to give you cash and jerk you off? Nobody ever said it will last the ages, the end all be all of DVD players. People said it has some of the best pq of any DVD player out their for the money. Take it for what it is... A DVD player, nothing more, nothing less.

Gordon Groff

Second Unit
Gordon, you would have to open it up and remove the screws for the mpeg board and flip it over. On one of the chips you should see the name of the chip.
Thanks, Kevin!

I don't think I'll do that anytime soon. :) I'm not that concerned about it!

I'm glad I got one. If the level of debate on this piece is any indicator, it must be pretty good!! Besides, Neil has one.

Gordon

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
Well I haven't had anything break down on me before, so this panny RP82 is an exception to MY norm. Maybe it's normal for you to expect and realize some of your equiment will break - warranties are total BS - of course no manufacturer will really want to admit that some of their players are faulty.

My unit is from ONECALL.COM was barely 100 days old before it crapped.

-ELmO

:thumbsdown:

Matt Odegard

Stunt Coordinator
I have had 2 Elite DVC-37's(37 is now the 47a/47ai) brake down in the time I've owned this CP-72.

The whole reason I bought it(37) was I thought it had great pq and awesome build quality. The two units I had both broke down in the 30 day trial period. So I started to think all this 'build quality' that everyone thinks is so important... Isn't. Otherwise, according to the build quality of the unit it could withstand a blast from an A-bomb. But that doesn't help me if the DVD tray doesn't open, or the picture suddenly goes to crap. What good is $800 worth of build quality when you can't even pop in a DVD?

With that experience and all the raves I read about the 82/72. I figured it couldn't be any worse than the 4 Elite DVD players I had and at almost a quarter of the cost, what did I have to loose, except build quality. Oh no! Don't take build quality!

Warranty's are a double edged sword, I believe they are worth the money, I don't believe however you should have to 'buy' a warranty, but I don't make the rules /shrug. So, I bought a 5yr warrante for $50 at the local Audio King(Ultimate Electronics is the parent Co.) so I don't have to worry about this thing crap'n out, which IMO is well worth $50 and an instant loaner while its being fixed.

I guess it all comes down to personal preference. Sure, I wish the 82/72 had the look of a good DVD player such as the 37/47ai and some of their features. But, in the end that wasn't what I needed. I needed a good DVD player with awesome pq and the 72 is just that, for ME.

Sebastien David

Second Unit
It still doesn't add up to the price difference of the two. Again I say if someone is worried about the player lasting, buy an extended warranty. It would cost less.
you're forgetting about audio...
if you're only using the DVD player for movies, you have no problem. but once you'll start using the analog outs for CDs, you'll realize the RP-82 is pretty near atrocious, while the DVD-1600 is "acceptable".

and as I mentioned earlier, and I realize it may not be the case for everyone, but the feeling of working with a well-constructed, smooth-operating unit is worth some additional expense to me.

as for extended warranties... it still doesn't cover for the fact that if (and probably when) you come in for a repair, you'll be stuck watching movies on a most likely inferior machine for weeks... I'd rather not have to go back to the store at all!!

also, looks may not be an issue to you, but most people don't have a looks-are-no-object dedicated theater room and have their equipment in plain view in their living room... I personally find the RP-82 too futuristic as far as looks are concerned, it looks wimpy, and would definitely not look good together with a Denon receiver (or pretty much any other receiver except the Panasonic SAHE200). me, I got a dedicated room, but I like things to look nice together, and all-black electronics paired with a shiny/silver dvd player does not look good. and it distracts me. black is good, you don't notice it, silver is not good, your eye is drawn away from the picture and towards the equipment.

again, it comes down to personal preferences, but IMO the above arguments make the DVD-1600 worth a heck of a lot more TO ME than the rp-82. and I have nothing to sell you guys, I'm simply expressing your opinion.

on a related note, we just got a DVD-3800 on demo at the store... man that thing it beautiful, and built like a tank... I wonder what the sound is like on CDs and DVD audio, but it certainly made me regret my DVD-1600 purchase, to a certain extent... guess I'm a quality-addict.

/edit/

oh yes, and Kevin, you're right about separates. I'm considering a separate stereo system with Cambridge D500, C500 and P500, as I was not prepared for the difference in sound between that and a Denon 3801 feeding my Energy C-9s... wow. had a customer come back today, we sold him the integrated amplifier (A500) and we could only have him listen to the C500/P500 combo, and he heard the difference right away when he got home, came back, and upgraded. and from the specs, the C500/P500 and A500 are the same, except one combo comes in two boxes, and the other in one. now specs are sometimes misleading, so I'll do some more investigation, but separating components sure seems to be a radical step forward from those results!

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
don't buy the RP82 if you want a strong DVD-A or Redbook performer. Buy it only for DVDs, which it is outstanding at.. just keep that in mind. I love my RP82 but it's definitely no daisy at music.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks