RP-82, Straight from the horses mouth.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Adam_R, Jan 20, 2003.

1. Adam_R

Adam_R Second Unit

I received this email today after submitting my question a month ago:

Dear Adam,

Thank you for your inquiry.** The DVD-RP82 is a 2002 model which is still on the market. 2003 models will be on market soon however, we do not have any information on future products.

2. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

Mr Ed was more informative than this [​IMG] . Thanks for sharing the email.

Doug

3. Chris Shelly

Chris Shelly Second Unit

Yeah,

The RP82 is discontinued. Panasonic is trimming its DVD player line up and no direct replacement has been announced. They are hinting at another model or two sometime in March. The new high end model has an MSRP of $149. I am sure street prices will be considerably cheaper. Sadly the Faroudja/Sage chips are no longer being used. They had to switch and use cheaper video processing to cut cost.

If you can find them buy as many RP82's CP72's and maybe even the RP62's. They are definently modern day electronic legends and will sell above street price as soon as they are gone.

If Panasonic is smart they should create an RP95 with the latest Faroudja/Sage chip sets and advanced features of the RP91. It will not be a bargain like the RP82 but at least we would still be offered a state of the art player from Panasonic. For what the RP91 does it can be considered a bargain compared to others in the market. All the new models sound like trash!!!

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I would guess that the RP-85 will be the new successor to the RP-82 in the spring of this year.

5. Laurence_C

Laurence_C Stunt Coordinator

Laurence
    Chris, Would you say the RP-91 is a unit that should be highly considered if I can still get my hands on one???

6. Chris Shelly

Chris Shelly Second Unit

Hey Laurence,

I don't own an RP-91 and I have never tried one. I heard it is chroma bug free and does have scaling and other nice features. I have heard the picture quality is very good but not as good as the RP82. Mainly because it has an older video processing chip set.

Chris

7. Brian Kleinke

Brian Kleinke Supporting Actor