What's new

RP 82 or RP 91? (1 Viewer)

Matt Odegard

Stunt Coordinator
I've read that there are differences between these 2 players. The 91 is better at scalling and the 82 is better at something else(can't remember). I was wondering which one is best for me.

I have a 51' 4:3 panny 51hx41, Most of my DVD's are widescreen and don't really understand this 'scaling' and how or why it would be better for me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Matt

Matt Odegard

Stunt Coordinator
I agree. Get the RP82 and get ready to smile!
I hope I will. I've been through 4 DVD players. The latest being the 45a(lots of artifacts, chroma bug) compared to my DV-C36 which has a clean background but very soft picture which sucks, and no 3-2 pulldown. I haven't been happy, of course the 45a was by far the best yet but not worth $500, since I don't have a DD reciever yet for SACD/DVDA. I figured I hear so much great stuff about these panny's I'll get one of these instead. Plus when you only pay $225 your not kicking yourself over the little things as much as when its a $500 DVD player.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
How come no one mentions this particular Panasonic player? (the "See It In 3D" virtual gizmo works really well):
Link Removed
There is a dvd-audio version of this model as well.
LJ

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Can someone post the quick differences from the 82 to the 91? I have a 56 and a 48" 16:9 HDTV, would the 91 be a better match than my RP56?

Thanks...

Jeff D.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
Joe:

The main attraction to the RP91 and RP82 players is their excellent progressive scan performance, coupled with the Panasonic MPEG decoder which does not have the chroma bug.

The RP91 uses the Genesis deinterlacing chipset. While this chipset gets a lot of flack, Panasonic has tweaked it to the max and it performs very well. In addition, Panasonic has made use of the scaling capabilities of the chipset. What this means is you can leave your 16:9 TV in its 'Full' mode for ALL DVDs - the RP91 will scale both non-anamorphic and 4:3 material (with black bars on the sides to preserve the AR) to look correct in the 'Full' mode. If you have a 16:9 TV, the RP91 is the way to go. I have this player and can't imagine living without this feature.

The RP82 uses the more popular Faroudja deinterlacing solution. As you would expect, its progressive performance is well-nigh perfect. The main difference with this machine is the lack of the scaling feature found in the RP91.

If you have a 16:9 set, my recommendation is to go with the RP91, otherwise pick up the RP82.

/Jeff

BenK

Stunt Coordinator
For a 16:9 set the rp91 is definitely the way to go. I've had mine for over a year playing through a 56" Toshiba widescreen and I'm still impressed with its performance. The scaler is worth the extra money especially if you watch alot of the supplemental dvd material. Basically set it and forget it.

Matt Odegard

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I just picked up the CP-72 since it has the same M-peg decoder and Fouruja(spel?) deinterlacer as the 82 but, it has 5 disc and comes in black(big bonus's). I watched the first 40 minutes of Attack of the Clones and am very happy and very impressed by the picture quality so far. As I've said before I've gone through 4 DVD players, the Sony 700p, Elite DV-C36, DV-37, and lastly the 45a. All have been returned except the DV-C36(damn my lazy ass to return it). This player beats them all and is cheaper than all except the 700p which was the same price. Of course I haven't watched too much yet but I can tell you its a keeper!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks