What's new

Royal Tenenbaums cover - yecch (1 Viewer)

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
I agree with LukeB.

BV can do as good a job at an SE as Criterion, but at a much cheaper price (especially in Canada where Criterion's are incredibly pricey).

Plus, who want's to wait around 6 months longer for a Criterion release?

Jussi Tarvainen

Second Unit
why on earth would anyone rather have a "Criterion Collection" of Royal Tenenbaums instead of a "Vista Series" or just a 2-disc "SE". Aren't we just talking semantics with names here?
No. Criterion discs have 0% filler (e.g. useless "featurettes" that mainly consist of the cast and crew praising each other) and they also put extras on their discs that other studios might not even consider. For example, I have a feeling BV wouldn't have included the MTV Movie Awards stuff on a Vista Series of "Rushmore".

Anyway, I'm sending Criterion's Jon Mulvaney a question about this right now.

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
Is it just me, or does that DVD logo in the bottom right hand corner look strange? :crazy: When the initial rumours about this coming as a Criterion disc surfaced, the film had barely finished (or started?) its theatrical run! So I assumed it meant that Criterion would do the ONLY edition. The idea that they might release a bare-bones disc is kinda weird, given that fact.
Anyway, I'm sending Criterion's Jon Mulvaney a question about this right now.
Post the reply as soon as you get it, please! :)

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
All this talk is speculation at this time. No info regarding actual specs on the disc have has been released...just the cover-art.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
Wrong! Although admittedly, a matter of opinion, Criterion special editions are THE best on the market. I would much rather have a Criterion version than a standard 2-disc set.
As you stated, it's a matter of opinion. For example, I don't see why all the fuss over Criterion's RushmoreDVD. Many studios have been releasing fantastic SE's that Criterion couldn't match in terms of quality and quantity.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Not Rushmore though...the Criterion Rushmore is quite possible the finest DVD that I own.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
I don't know what Vista Series you watched where the cast just praised each other, but I'd be willing to pay $10 less to miss out on the MTV Movie Awards stuff.
Give me a Vista Series. :emoji_thumbsup: :)

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
Many studios have been releasing fantastic SE's that Criterion couldn't match in terms of quality
Name one. There are plenty that pack more in. But none, (and this ISN'T an opinion - its a cold hard fact) can better Criterion's supplemental material quality.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
I'd say the Platinum Edition of Snow White blows away all the Criterion releases I've seen. So does the Star Wars TPM set.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
Name one. There are plenty that pack more in. But none, (and this ISN'T an opinion - its a cold hard fact) can better Criterion's supplemental material quality.
Oh, I see... it's a "cold hard fact". What was I thinking?
Give me a break.
A few come to mind:
Magnolia
Moulin Rouge
Citizen Kane
The Sweet Hereafter
Tell me how the extras on these 3 discs are inferior to (for example) Rushmore.

Kajs

Second Unit
Real Name
Kurt
Can I go on to name:
Toy Story: Ultimate Toy Box
Fantasia Anthology
A Bug's Life: CE
Snow White
All by Disney(/Pixar), and that's just scratching the surface. And what about Pearl Harbor Vista Series? A Michael Bay, non Criterion disc, with more extras than Armageddon and The Rock combined?
May I go on to add, these don't have ridiculous prices?

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
Also, there are serveral Criterion titles that are pretty light on supplements, bordering on bare bones.

If Tenenbaums is coming out as a Criterion, how come the pink cover doesn't have a "Criterion Collection" banner on the top?

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Probably because it's not coming out Criterion ;)
Like I said before...this is all just speculation anyway...we have no details regarding a DVD aside from the cover-art.
As for the Criterion/BV thing...I could care less who releases it. I don't buy DVDs based upon studio...I buy them based upon content.

Chris Wagner

Stunt Coordinator
Yea... I'm still thinking a bare-bones release from Buena Vista (Note the lack of a Vista Series banner at the top of the cover art).
A full blown SE from Criterion down the road, along with a much needed SE of Bottle Rocket.
BTW if Criterion does not get Royal Tenenbaums, you can pretty much kiss a Bottle Rocket SE good-bye.
I whole-heartedly support Criterion for their commitment to preserve quality films and provide meaningful supplements. They practically invented the SE with their LaserDisc releases. Other studios may make flashier more loaded SEs, but I feel in most cases this is simply fluff.
$28 and change shipped (same price as a Disney CE) for a 2-Disc Criterion edition is an incredible bargain, if you consider those (including myself) who paid $40+ bare-bones and $100+ SE for LDs from Criterion or any studio (Universal Sig. Series, Disney, others).
Criterions release of more mainstream titles such as Rushmore, Silence of the Lambs, Armageddon (which I don't necessarily agree with), and The Rock (same), tend to sell more. With the resources provided by above mentioned titles Criterion can thus restore and release lesser known gems that may not receive the treatment they deserve.
Not every film should be released by Criterion, but I feel that the films of Wes Anderson fit in perfectly.
: Post stated IMHO.

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
Fantasia Anthology said:
[sarcasm] No, you're right. A Bug's Life CE isn't ridiculously priced. Disney would never charge too much for their discs![/sarcasm]

RobE

Auditioning
A criterion of Royal Tenenbaums would be nice...but i'd rather not wait another six months to get it. I loved the movie. If the first version has at least a commentary track, i'll be all set.
I don't really care about the cover, but it would have been cool if they used the poster as the cover art.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks