What's new

Royal Tenenbaums cover - yecch (1 Viewer)

Patrick Mirza

Supporting Actor
tenenbaums.jpg

no date or specs yet, but how 'bout that pink background?!? Yuck!

MichaelPe

Screenwriter
Ummm....thats the original Poster art is memory serves.
Well, sort of. The original poster had the same shot of the characters against a white background, and with a surrounding border. Anyway, I think the DVD cover looks great.

Jimmy Nugent

Stunt Coordinator
Since this isn't the dvd incarnation of this title that will be adorning my collection, I'll wait and pass judgement on the one that will. If Criterion remains true to form, their cover will be most satisfying.

Damned if I don't sound pompous, snooty and self-rightious.

So Be It!

Sir James

Roby Adams

Stunt Coordinator
Ummm... if the studio's releasing this title, isn't that a pretty good indication that they won't license it to Criterion?
Nope. Look at Rushmore. There was a regular studio edition and a while after that the Criterion. I would imagine that will be what happens here.

Since DVD rentals are becomiong big business now I think if newer films make it to the Criteron Collection this is the way it will happen. That way the studio gets the sales to all the rental outlets and regualr DVD buyers and then Criterion gets the hardcore fans and film buffs later on.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
That probably won't be the final cover....and I'm getting the 2-disc set, whether it's BV (hopefully) or "Criterion" written on the cover.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Is there any suggestion that Criterion is even considering it, or is this all just pure speculation???

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
If Buena Vista's release is a 2-disc Special Edition, then you can count on Criterion NOT releasing this at a later date.

There wouldn't be a need for a Criterion version, and it wouldn't make much business sense for Criterion.

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
The soundtrack album looks pretty much like this cover (the pink background), so I wouldn't be surprised if this is it.

Eric Wickitt

Agent
This was the movie poster i saw during its theatrical release.
lgonesheet.jpg

The pink background version was from some print ads (i think) and is identical to the Soundtrack cover. Personally i think both are great for the dvd. I can't wait to get it...and i too am hoping for a BV double disc set.

Chad Gregory

Supporting Actor
Nope. Look at Rushmore. There was a regular studio edition and a while after that the Criterion. I would imagine that will be what happens here.
True, there was a Disney release and then a Criterion release, but the Disney release was completely bare and non-anamorphic, with the Criterion being a SE. Similar to Armageddon.

But like Marc said, if Disney puts out a 2-disc SE, there is virtually no chance Criterion would attempt to outdo them a few months later.

Short story, wait for the specs before judgment.

-Chad

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
Also consider that Disney no longer licences its films to Criterion.

Hopfully Disney will give The Royal Tenenbaums the treatment it deserves and make it a Vista Series.

Chris Wagner

Stunt Coordinator
Both BOTTLE ROCKET and THE ROYAL TENENBAUMS are "Officially Rumored" to get the Criterion treatment.

Count me in for a Criterion release.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
This might sound silly, but why on earth would anyone rather have a "Criterion Collection" of Royal Tenenbaums instead of a "Vista Series" or just a 2-disc "SE". Aren't we just talking semantics with names here?

Criterion would just be more expensive. Is it the spine numbers and the collectibility factor or desire for a BETTER DVD??

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks